ad: CQMM-1

San Jacinto Radio Ham arrested

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly;
    Just compare how many repeaters it takes to make the RCS here in Kalifornia work as compared to the VHF and Low Band systems it replaced. The problem with trunking and digital systems is they are easily disabled.
    Then you are back to using talk-around or stuck on some fail-soft channel that someone set up who has no idea of who you need to talk with.

2. AF6LJ

She doesn't look too happy.

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The paper document is not a "license". It is a "license document". As hams, we are not even required to possess one.

It could be evidence in a case against her, if she presented it to them as evidence that she was legally operating. The police would have every right to sieze and hold it.

Local authorities have the right to make laws regarding malicious interference to their own communications. Otherwise, a jammer could easily shut down a county until they were able to get the FCC involved. CA has a law that makes it illegal to interfere with amateur or CB communications during an emergency, too.

Joe

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a more innocent time when the suggestion that a real, licensed ham would do something like this would result in laughter or derision. It just wouldn't happen! Hams lived in fear of Fedwell Catch'em and Cancellum. If there is a big difference between 1970 and 2010, that is it.

What's more, the idea that a licensed woman would do such a thing would have been unimaginable.

What on Earth was she thinking? Does she have a beef with Law Enforcement, or is she some kind of self-styled outlaw? I didn't see her profile - is she a Freebander?

Yes, I seriously hope they throw the book at her!

5. AF6LJ

I don't think they do have the right to make laws regarding interference to their communications.
    I think that it is well established that that is a federal manner.
    That Kalifornia law is for the most part useless and the product of someone who doesn't know the first thing about communications law.

It is illegal to jam any emergency communications.
    That has been the law since there was communications law.

But....
    The People's Republic of Kalifornia is a very wired state. One I wish I could get the hell out of........

6. AF6LJ

I really shouldn't post what is going through my mind while reading this post.....
    Perhaps we need a mental health test for amateur radio licenses.

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure they can make a law that parallels the fed law. Look at AZ. There is nothing in federal law that prohibits them from making and enforcing a law that aids in public safety.

The fact that they have a license to operate on PS channels, granted by the FCC, does not preclude them from arresting people that interfere with those channels, or who impede public safety in any way.

Most states actually DO have laws that could be enforced like CA does. This is nothing new, and takes nothing away from the FCC enforcement. Many, many laws are federal and state crimes.

Joe

8. K7RA

K7RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Via Google cache I was able to find a reference to her in another ham's qrz.com page. But when I go to that page directly, the content has been scrubbed.

Apparently she and her husband were very active in a group of scanner enthusiasts (see http://wrrg.net/) who came to ham radio via their mutual interests and GMRS. Notice she got her Tech license very recently, and has been a ham a little over 6 months.

Her husband:

http://www.qsl.net/ke6alv/MIKEY_resized.JPG

He is a former pizza deliveryman who met Irene online:

http://www.qsl.net/ke6alv/pers.html

The guy whose QRZ.com page was scrubbed wrote:

"I never thought much of Amateur Radio until some of my GMRS radio friends (who are also licensed Amateurs) pushed me to get my license. To name a few; Chad N6NWZ, Mike KE6ALV and his wife Irene KJ6CEY, also Ken K6KEN and many others. If it were not for them I never would have taken the time to take the test. Of course after passing the first try, have always wondered why I did not take the test sooner!"

Actually there have been many, many hams arrested over the years for unusual and odd criminal behavior. You just don't hear about them often.

I remember back in the 1990s names of people involved in the militia movement, sometimes killed in shootouts or arrested for weapons violations, would pop up if searched in the FCC database. And some of this stuff goes WAY back.

For instance, Robert DePugh, founder of a notorious far-right armed group in the 1960s (The Minutemen, but no relation to the current border watch groups) was an active ham since his early teens, and a very memorable member of his high school radio club ('A really smart guy, but odd', to paraphrase a classmate).

Or William Potter Gale, who from the early 1960s ran a well-armed Southern California group called The California Rangers, which grew out of a local RACES civil defense group, I think. He could be fairly described as a raving anti-Semite, and was also instrumental in the founding of a group called Posse Comitatus. (For a GREAT book about Gale and Posse Comitatus, read "The Terrorist Next Door" by Daniel Levitas http://www.terroristnextdoor.com/. The book has a lot of interesting info about Gale, but nothing about his ham radio activities).

In the case of The California Rangers, who were heavily armed because they believed in an imminent Communist takeover (like the original Minutemen) most of the members became hams not because of a long time interest in radio, but because it fit into their groups communications plans. I think the same thing is true with more recent ham survivalists or people in various militia groups. Ham radio seemed like a good way to learn about radio communications, so they could fashion networks "off-the-grid" that would function in their end-of-the-world fantasies.

And now we see this recent arrest. Perhaps she suffers from an illness in which she engages in thrill-seeking behavior, and found a profound sense of satisfaction and power in "outwitting" the cops.

I'll bet her friends and family knew nothing of this, and are in complete shock, perhaps denial too.

While I am not sympathetic, I wish her luck. She'll need it!

9. N8LWF

N8LWF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Soooo. When's the Police Auction held in Hemet? :D:D:D:D

10. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or people who shouldn't have a ham license at all? :rolleyes: This is beyond code/no code. This is about what is going on up in that skull full of mush.

11. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Taking a piece of paper, as evidence is one thing. Taking away the grant is an entirely different matter. The grant can't be stripped without due process from the FCC.

She could order another copy using the Administrative Update in ULS.

Of course, she wasn't operating in the ham bands, was she? What with all the emcommers out there discussing police business on the ham bands, could be she got confused. (Of course, her unmodified 2M radio wouldn't have allowed her to get more than a "bonk" if she tried to transmit)

12. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw her husband's pic with him leaning up against a tree with that handheld hanging on the side of his pants. It has the look of 'awesomeness' written all over it... :rolleyes:

Yeah buddy! :D

13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly right. In so many examples before the Commission and the courts it has been held that the Congress granted those powers only to the FCC.

I suspect so. However, Jack Gerritsen's attorney didn't know enough to beat the CHP rap that used the CA law to lock him up.

Also right on the money. Interference to declared emergency communications is a federal felony. Cop get togethers and drive in orders don't count.

It is only a federal felony to intentionally interfere with routine federal government communications and is included in the Malicious Mischief section of Title 18, USC. That was used to bust Gerritsen as I think he interfered with MARS or the Coast Guard.
    C'mon down this way. Low taxes, low cost of living (and low pay), lots of game on the hoof and varmints including coyotes here in AL. And, anything that grows in CA, except avocadoes, does fine here.

14. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham arrested

WHY DOES THIS HOBBY DRAW SO MANY WACK JOB NUTS ?:confused::rolleyes:

15. W5FN

W5FN Guest

Looks like the profile has been removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.