Saltwater and Plastic Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Sep 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

N1YR likes this.
  3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't wait to try one out on my surfboard :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

4. WU2M

WU2M Ham Member QRZ Page

Yawn...…………..

5. KI6JL

KI6JL Ham Member QRZ Page

Will a higher concentration of salt make it work better? Why not make watered down salt licks and use them?

6. KI6JL

I loaded up my 5'2" girl friend on 6 meters while she was standing on top of my VW. It worked good at 8 watts. She could move her arms and direct the signal. No kidding around it really worked!

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

If you want to have some fun with it, that sounds fine:) Conductivity at--HF-- and --VHF-- is roughly linear with increasing concentration of salt.

The problem is the higher the concentration, the more likely you will have crystallization, which will rapidly remove salt from the liquid.

8. KI6JL

What if it rains. Will my signal be diluted?

KT5WB and ZL3DW like this.
  9. ZL3DW

ZL3DW Ham Member QRZ Page

An antenna that radiates poorly in any chosen direction. I think that saltwater would make a poor radiator and a poor reflector. They could improve the design by adding a smaller director in front of the driven element as well as the reflectors behind it. Creating a "Salty Yagi." The project seems to be providing a saturated salt solution, to a non-existent problem.

10. BRICKSON98

BRICKSON98 QRZ Member

To everyone complaining that this is not the first saltwater based antenna, it states that it is not the first right in the linked article.

"To be sure, this is not the first liquid antenna"
    "Several saltwater-based antennas have been developed to date, but these designs are limited in how easily the beam can be steered and reconfigured."