Safety for a YL on the road

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by KG5OBE, Jun 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always weighed the possibility of stalkers and other undesirables out there. I've had some nasty road rage incidents here in NJ, once where a woman stopped in the middle of the roadways came up to my window of my car and decided to tell me off. I just drove around her.

The FCC wants to make past addresses private. This is a good move but the NPRM seems to be "stuck" with no action. Hopefully they will move on it.

- Ria

W5MQC and KC9ZHV like this.
  2. AG4YL

AG4YL Ham Member QRZ Page

This opens up a general matter of personal safety for YLs in particular. Never mind being on the road with your call on the plate, every time you get on the air ANYONE can hear you. Being identified as female while on phone is kinda obvious, (or, in my case, on any mode because of my vanity call), so a very popular answer for many YLs is a PO box. If you have a UPS Store near, their addresses don't even look like PO boxes. Many states even allow for this on driver's licenses - a "displayed" address on the license, and the residence address in the records only accessible by law enforcement personnel.

Of course, I'm only speaking from experience here in the US - I don't know the options for YLs in other countries.

No, it isn't perfect, and no, it isn't free. But it's nice to know that every time someone looks you up on QRZ, or in the FCC database, or gets a QSL card from you, that the address they are seeing is NOT where you live.

Now go get that Amateur Radio tag for your vehicle!

33 de Melanie AG4YL

N6QIC likes this.
  3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having a P.O. box is a good way to stay safe. Also over the years when we moved I have never had to change my address or change my Drivers License, or any important documents. I had my box at "Mailboxes etc" now "The UPS Store" for 20 years. When I could no longer pay my bill of $190.00 a year for the box I was forced to go to the U.S. Post office in Orange. This was the best thing that ever happened to me. Now I pay $48.00 a year and my box is in the city of Orange. I no longer have to drive 20 miles to get my mail.

My California DL shows my P.O. box address only, not a problem here in Ca. So If you have a "PMB" address check the price at your local U.S. Post office. You may be surprised at the difference in price.

Have a great day,
    Lisa

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never worried about other hams getting my address through lookups. I'm pretty well-known in the local ham community (e.g., I'm president of the local club), and Vermont is a small place where everybody knows everybody. So I don't use a PO Box.

But I have never wanted to put ham plates on my car. It would probably be fine, but for me there is a difference between "the local hams know where I live" and "anyone who Googles my license plate knows where I live." That's a choice we all have to make.

33 to all you ladies,

Cathy
    N5WVR

PS: I really need to get an updated picture; I'm quite a bit older than when that one was taken!

KC9ZHV and MI0YLT like this.