ad: Morse-1

Safety for a YL on the road

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by KG5OBE, Jun 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5OBE

KG5OBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, everyone,

I've considered getting an amateur radio license plate along with a modest rig for my vehicle. My only concern is that some nefarious folks might access my personal information with my callsign and use it to try to either track me down or approach me by name, say at a gas station or rest stop. Just curious if anyone has ever encountered anything questionable by putting their callsigns on their vehicles. I really love the license plates as a way to connect with other mobile hams and to serve as a good ambassador for the hobby. I would really appreciate your thoughts!

-Jennifer

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Jennifer,
    Hear are some messages that have been Moderated,

KB4QAA Said: American hams have had their callsigns, names and addresses published for over 100 years.
    There doesn't seem to be any rash of criminals targeting hams. Most people have no idea what amateur radio is or what callsigns are. States nowadays often have +100 different licenses plates for various causes and groups. Even state troopers can't identify all the plates for their state.
    I'm not worried.

KO6WB Said:
    In California it's very difficult to get the information on the owner of a vehicle via the plates.
    The reasoning was due to an incident that happened quite sometime ago.
    A young woman was tracked down and was killed, by using her plate number.
    So, California made it a policy not to give out such information without some type of legal request (court order, warrant, etc.).
    With the predatory males floating around, it may not be a good idea to have an identification source that's easy to lookup just by entering it on the internet.

At least that's the story I was told and it may have changed, but it's worthy of consideration.

Have fun
    Gary

N5JEO likes this.
  3. N6QIC

Please remember that the YL forum is exclusively for YL members of QRZ.
    Any posts by Non YL's will be removed.

Thank you for your cooperation,
    Lisa Anderson - YL Forum Moderator

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    W7UUU and KC9UDX like this.
  4. N6QIC

Jennifer,
    Please take a look at this thread. My reply is the 29th page and lots of comments on the subject before that.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ham-license-plates-or-no.403817/page-29#post-3880231

5. KC9ZHV

KC9ZHV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have ham radio plates on my van and so far I have not been attacked by anyone I have however at the house had my back window bashed in just after i got out of the hospital.. But i don't think that had anything to do with my ham radio plates.. Probably some neighbor that didn't like me to well..
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely you will notice back window bashed out..

Your callsign is public knowledge anyway you could use it on the radio and some one in scanner land could listen in and run your callsign through the FCC website and get your address and information that way.. Not to mention Facebook has been the awesome snoopers playground..

In my opinion the best way to stay safe is be proactive observe your surroundings if you are capable and comfortable concealed carry is your friend.. Just my 2 cents...

AG4YL and N6QIC like this.
  6. F4WBW

F4WBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just for an "alternative" point of view: here in France we don't have vanity license plates and we don't have vanity call signs. You get the license plate number you get and you get the call sign you get. (In my case, the W indicates that I have a reciprocal call based on a non-EU license.) In fact, there is a "red list" (meaning unlisted) for call signs here. They'll list the issuance of a call sign, but with the notation that the holder is "unlisted" and thus does not have their name and address publicly available.

Seems a bit odd to me, but in the greater scheme of things, it's not really a big deal.

N6QIC likes this.
  7. KG5OBE

KG5OBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you all for your replies. And thank you Lisa for moderating them! Also, thanks Lisa for pointing me in the right direction with that link. I am about to check it now. I appreciate all of your thoughts. You all have given me a lot to think about. Ugh, KC9ZHV, I am so sorry about your window! What a rotten thing to do. :(

KC9ZHV and N6QIC like this.
  8. KC2IAY

KC2IAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have that same concern. If someone just googles my callsign even without having any idea what ham radio is they can easily find my address as well as some old pictures. I'm a nurse in a small clinic and all the patients know which car is mine, many of them I don't want knowing my personal details. Also, I live in an antenna restricted HOA (I go stealth) and don't want to draw attention to my radio habits by the HOA people.

N6QIC likes this.
  9. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a personal car registration on paper, my dad bought me it for passing my full test:) but as i am only 15:( it will be a while til i can use it 17 here in uk.
    as a yl most hams here in N.Ireland know me anyhow, think the antennas on cars is the bigger problem with theft and they draw the biggest attention of all.

N6QIC likes this.
  10. W5MQC

W5MQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to get my call on my plates, but for me it is a safety thing. With all of the road rage out there, it is just not worth even worrying about it. A couple of months ago we were on our way home from visiting the Grandkids. A couple of drunks thought it was a good idea to block the left hand lane on 35. When we ended up passing them on the right. They chased after us, got in front of us and started throwing beer cans. The very last thing I want is them showing up at my door (even though it would not end well for them). Again just not worth the worry. ~my 2 cents

N6QIC likes this.