ad: ProAudio-1

Rx SDR for Rx antenna for HF

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by W7CJD, Dec 29, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an active HF, LF, and VLF antenna I purchased on eBay.

I have seen an article for SDR.
    https://www.rtl-sdr.com/roundup-software-defined-radios/

I am especially interested in SDR Rx to run on software on a tablet computer.

I have iPad Mini 2 and Kocaso Windows and Kocaso Android tablet computers.

I am interested in recommendations.

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience with SDRs is limited to the SDRplay RSP2 (receive only)..... and I highly recommend it. I bought it to use in an EME experiment only, but after using it for a little while it became my go-to receiver for all sorts of purposes.

With the SDRplay, I highly recommend using a Windows-based computer since the software for Linux is not as user friendly. I had a work of trouble installing it on Ubuntu, and once I got it up and running I decided that I liked the Windows versions a lot better.

The other thing of importance to keep in mind is the quality of your sound-card. My SDRplay sounds great when you run the sound quality on "Studio Quality".... but not so good when you use the lower settings. I don't know about the sound quality of your tablets, but if they will play iTunes well then they are probably good enough.

3. W7CJD

Thank you, for responding. I am looking at their website.
    https://www.sdrplay.com/

I am not seeing the CPU RAM or drive space required.

If more than a tablet is required I am putting together an AOpen DE-7000.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Consider also the AirSpy HF+.

I have an SDRPlay as well, the RSP1A. The Airspy is new, received it early this week. It's my preferred receiver already.

Had a bunch of RTL-SDRs before the RSP1A and HF+.

5. W7CJD

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

the CPU / ram requirements are quite low. I've run mine on a Celeron cpu laptop with only 2gb RAM.... and it ran just fine.

W7CJD likes this.
  7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The software 'driving' the SDR is the component to watch. I tried almost all of the available packages for Windows.

One of the 'lightest', and my favorite, is HDSDR.

KK4NSF and W7CJD like this.
  8. W7CJD

I appreciate people sharing their favorites.

Thank you.

If anyone else wants to join in, please do so.

I am not the only radio amateur interested in SDR.

9. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Another vote for the sdr play. I liked mine so much I bought an Anan. Be careful, dabbling in with sdr is a slippery slope. :)

Prior to the sdr play I used one of the cheap usb sticks. It worked ok but mine required an upconverter for HF. Things may be different now but the usb stick was not plug and play. Some files had to be moved and the right drivers installed. When it started giving me issues I bought the sdr play and feel like it's a better product.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    W7CJD and KK4NSF like this.