RV Park All band vertical ideas.

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by KN4JEV, Feb 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KN4JEV

KN4JEV Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to optimize my situation here. Fantastic place for transmit/receive. No power poles or interference but my site is not optimum.

Not many variables so I’m stuck. Have an extremely closed in site except at tow end of forty foot trailer. Also front end is where shack is located (very short feed lines) and has a clear shot at one mile of open river.

Cannot run out radials but can mount pipe mast from front of trailer. Have installed extra attachment points along front of trailer including towing hitch and exposed frame.

Has anyone crossed this problem?

I am running now a ic-746pro with a MFJ 1699 tap hole mobile antenna. Have connected trailer frame to ground for a counterpoise though not certain it is very efficient. Would like to stay with the tuner inside the Icom but not adverse to buying an auto tuner. Of course it would be great to get as many band coverages as possible.

Am able to build and wind components for a stick and of course would prefer that to buying one of the available verticals on the market. I must admit that most of them look like there is not much magic to them. I can go up high but have the problem of easy and quick lowering as this is a windy and lightning prone area. Hindged lay down is a problem so either telescopic or lift and lay down only works.

Appreciate anyone’s thoughts and time.

Paul
    KN4JEV

2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in a RV / park also , and use Rohn telescoping masts , usually only about 15' , then on top of those I have used Cushcraft R5 & R7 [ no longer available new ] and Butternut HF-9 - this with the CPK kit [ elevated radial / or counter poise ] still available from DX Engineering .
    I guy both the mast & middle of either antenna .
    If nothing else , even just a cinderblock / or other heavy weight to tilt up & down , now getting a little older and plan on building a tilt fixture - about 1 foot stake in ground with hinge for pipe to fit inside of the bottom of mast , this makes it very controllable and not too heavy for me , yet .

3. KN4JEV

Thank you for the good ideas. I’ll figure something out.

4. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Ameritron SDA-100 screwdriver antenna mounted on the front of the frame. It works remarkably well and is not in the way. I just remove the whip when traveling. No muss, no fuss. It works 80 through 6 meters.

This is a photo of my previous trailer. It's mounted the same way on my new one.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. KN4JEV

I’m beginning to lean more towards this Tarheel type. I’m getting mixed signals on the use of the trailer frame for a radial and then to a grounding pipe vs. putting out radial wires (which I cannot do). Is this not effective at all?

I also have a pipe frame built on the front of the trailer on which I can run up the smaller Tarheel to over the roof level. That frame I’ve also tied into the frame and ground pipe.

All of your inputs are very much appreciated.

Paul

6. KN4JEV

Hi Randy,

Are you setting out radial wires from this or just stand alone? This would work out very well for me sans the radials. I have the grounds all running to the frame of my existing mfj 1699 and then to a ground pipe but I don’t know if it is doing any good.
    Thanks

Paul

7. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No radials, no grounds, just using the trailer frame.

For a lot of really good information see http://www.k0bg.com/