RV LADDER MOUNT ANTENNA MAST.

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by AC0GV, May 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W7DKK

W7DKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll ground the antenna to the frame, but have some
    transceiver ground questions: I found an unused 25 amp fuse where I can pick-up power.
    1. It appears that the negative side of the battery goes to the frame so I can connect there.
    2. What is the best way to ground the transceiver or does the battery negative provide it?
    3. Does anyone bother to actually run a wire the earth/ground/dirt, or use a rubber/copper strap?

David

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think I'd depend on the (-) cable as a ground. It is one, but a separate ground just seems logical. Short and direct is nice.

K0UO likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I take it the ladder is isolated from truck/RV frame ground...(?)

4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahoy!
    Yes. Our RV has wood framing and fiberglass exterior. The ladder is bolted through the wood internal framing.

5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I always run a separate ground wire from the antenna if it's mounted on the ladder back to the frame. Sometimes an ohmmeter shows it grounded sometimes not, and that doesn't mean there's a good RF ground.
    Also remember if your running off grid on the battery, when the RV voltage drops below 12 volts it can really affect many brands of radios, particularly Kenwood's and Icom. Be very careful on this one.

K7WFM likes this.