RV LADDER MOUNT ANTENNA MAST.

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by AC0GV, May 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

ant3.JPG That Tarheel on a Fiver Roof post back in March got me thinking about mounting a mast on my RV to support a 2 meter beam while camping. Here is what I came up with. It is a metal closet rod supported by three two foot pieces of aluminum angle, U bolted to the ladder.I'll post more pictures on the ac0gv facebook page for people that want more detail.

W7EDC and K7WFM like this.
  2. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool idea using the aluminum angle iron. Do you remove or drop the mast when underway?
    Right now I'm using a fiberglass 20' fishing pole vertical that I lash to the ladder with velcro straps. It works okay but, I want a sturdier mast to support an inverted V doublet.

rvvert.jpg

3. AC0GV

I have 3 mounts and plan to remove the antenna and slide the mast down into all three, hopefully the road won't pound it apart with all three tight. (Yes I know the driven element is on wrong in the first picture. I was racing a storm. It has been corrected.)
    . ant1.JPG

kenny

K7WFM likes this.
  4. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Now aren't all you earlier responders sorry to have made fun of "Tarheel on a Fiver"? Bully!

5. NE2I

NE2I Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a pennenger mount from the ladder and the mast is the super huge DX engineering 65 foot mast. I leave it at about 5o so feet and it works fine. I use no guys and have run a dipole from it. I used a delrin insulator at the base of the mast and made it into a vertical with the MFJ remote tuner. It works great and gives me 40-10 meters.

6. NM1I

NM1I Ham Member QRZ Page

here use a shakespeare 393 hf marine vertical/whip mounted on rear ladder with flagpole buddy mount. Tune with a small SGC auto tuner at ant base. Run a short wire to 18 inch screwdriver in ground for grounding tuner. Works well, had many qso's with KX3 AT 15 W. Used 100 w amp occasionally when needed. regards Butch/NM1I

7. W0JOG

W0JOG Ham Member QRZ Page

It ain't all that hard. I had a scrap piece of 1/4 inch thick aluminum that reached from leg to leg of the Itasca's ladder (and a couple of rigs before it) and drilled a hole in its center for the mobile mount. Four U-bolts held it to the ladder just below first vertical step. Lead-in went down the ladder (which was grounded to the chassis of the motor home. Lead-in followed opportunity to beneath the vanity in the bedroom which was taken over as "ham shack." Hustler antennas and thereyago. WAS and anywhere else I wanted. Used it for years. It now is mounted in much the same fashion on my 21 year old GMC conversion van. Ferrite donuts as a balun made SWR behave. de W0JOG

8. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That looks a lot cleaner that what I do...I open the camper emergency exit vent above the sleeping quarters and throw up a hamstick dipole mounted on an old work light tripod.

W6MYT likes this.
  9. W4RGA

W4RGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks great. How long is the closet rod ?

10. AC0GV

8'