Rumor has it Dell to sell LINUX installed

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AB8RU, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was reading something the other day Dell is suppoused to start selling computers with LINUX .

Anyone else read that ?

2. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, this new is a few months old.

I like the idea, though. Too bad it is on a D'hell. Just hope the other "brands" will follow suit. But with VISDUH, I believe they will have to.

3. W6TMI

W6TMI Ham Member QRZ Page

You've always been able to buy Dell servers with RHEL on it.

Er, well last couple years at least.

4. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

you can get RHEL or SUSE (or Win2003, if you must ... )

5. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Dell did a survey on their website a month or so ago asking folks what they wanted to see Dell do. The number one request by a long shot was that Dell make available computers with pre-installed Linux.

They've apparently committed to doing it, and supposedly are trying to figure out which distro to pre-install. I'm not holding my breath though because Dell has made noises about pre-installing Linux before and then backed off.

Dell does sell desktop PC's with Linux pre-installed ... in China.

Aside from that to the best of my knowledge they only sell server boxes with pre-installed Linux.

6. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

We got some new Dell computers, was the response the office manager said.
    What about Linux?
    I looked at the documentation, preloaded with XP, but Linux is indeed an option.
    By this I mean Linux can be installed directly from the provided disks, as a LiLo option or the only OS.
    So, yes, not preloaded, but it is the next best thing.

7. VE3SRE

That's interesting!

The only option I'd heard of before was that if you did an archaeological excavation of their website you'd find on offer some "no O/S" boxes.

Cheers & 73

Bob VE3SRE

8. VE3SRE

9. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone ever thought to get their PC sans o/s (tell them to shove Micro$oft), and get a distro from one of the Linux magazines or books?

Just don't get some oddball architecture that needs Windows tweeks to work right.

I vote for SuSE 10.2 right now. Best ever, and you don't have to re-learn the gotchas that Windows has with every new version.

Gary WA7KKP

10. VE3SRE

Of course! I build my own machines! But, average Jane and Joe computer user and businesses for that matter mostly purchase "off the shelf" boxes from one of the big manufacturers.

And because all of these machines come with pre-loaded Windows, it's been a very significant barrier to seeing much more widespread adoption of Linux on desktops and notebooks.

But now, a very significant PC manufacturer has made the decision to offer consumers a choice in operating systems.
    Hopefully Lenovo, HP, Gateway etc. will decide to do the same sometime in the next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.