ad: w5yi

RUMlogNG and FT1000D don't communicate

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by N2ERN, Mar 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N2ERN

N2ERN Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, people, this old man is stuck. I have an FT1000D and an iMac (10.12.3). I installed RUMlog and entered a load of Qs into it manually, and they are all fine. I even set up LoTW and found the hidden .tqsl file to work with RUMlog. Now here's the problem:

I can't get the rig and RUMlog to interface. I have a CAT cable (Maxton RPC-Y1K-U) that's supposed to be for the FT1000 series, and a new driver (PL2303_MacOSX_1.6.1). The instructions (yes, I read them) says to configure the driver via System Preferences, Network. OK, I go there, and see the device. Click on it, and all I get is the window for setting up a dialup modem.

Maybe I need a different CAT cable and that's all, but I really need advice to get thee machines working together. Or, maybe I'm just too old and dumb to understand this. I've been a Mac user since Lisa days, and know my way around it pretty well. This just has me stumped.

Here are screen shots from RUMlog and the Mac

Mac Network Ststems Pref.jpg RUMlogNG screen shot.jpg

2. K8AJS

K8AJS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first suggestion would be to change your USB-serial cable. The one you're using uses a Prolific chip, and Prolific has a terrible reputation for performance and reliability in the ham radio world.

You need to use an interface cable that uses an FTDI chip instead. In addition to having a chip that always works well in these applications, you shouldn't need a driver for it, because your Mac and OS have built-in drivers for the FTDI family.

For years I have recommended Keyspan adapters (now owned by TrippLite) for these setups. I'm using the USA-19HS adapter with my MacBook Pro and K3 radio, and it is flawless. HOWEVER, looking at the web page for that device, the manufacturer only says it works with MacOS up through v10.11 (I'm running Mavericks, v10.10 on the MBP in my shack), so I would at least contact them and see if it really doesn't work under Sierra or if the web page just has not been updated.

Perhaps someone else here has knowledge about FTDI-type cables that work well in MacOS v10.12 Sierra.

Hope this helps.

John K8AJS
    jbastin1@me.com

3. K8AJS

K8AJS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I forgot to add that in years past, before I got the K3, I was running a Yaesu FT1000MP for many years, and the Keyspan adapter worked great.

Hope this helps.

4. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do not check the options "Power up lines"!
    Make sure, the selected flow control options match the trx com port.
    Please note, for a FT-1000 the ROM version 6 is required.

5. N2ERN

N2ERN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see any port information. Yes, I have firmware 6. I ordered an FTDI cable (eBay, from England, where someone makes one for the FT1000D.) After it comes in a week or so, I'll report back.

BTW, Tom, Thanks for a great app. Unfortunately, my coax all got waterlogged sometime in the 25 years it's been up, and I have to replace it all the Spring. So, hopefully I'llhave a first class station back on the air soon.