Rules about your kids on air with you?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KE0EYJ, Aug 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really have no idea about this. I saw a question related to it on the Tech test once, but if memory serves, it does not answer this question.

I see schools have a ham set-up, and kids (I assume) use it to transmit alongside a licensed operator. What about at home, if you want to teach your kids? Are they allowed to call CQ alongside you, with the station callsign? Or talk on-air with a contact with the op/parent doing the identifying? Not talk on air at all?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[Under US FCC regulations] The licensed operator must be at the controls at all times. Visitors may operate the station and talk/cw/whatever.

If contacting foriegn countries, International Third Party agreements apply. Check the ARRL listings for each country.

Since you are in a foriegn country, you are governed by that countries rules and agreements with the US as well. Ordinarily, if you are operating on an exchange basis, you must follow that country's rules, not those of the US.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. KA0HCP

Let's touch on Third Party Traffic rules (international).

Each country must inform others whether to agree to allow Third Party Traffic. If they refuse, then amateurs must be careful not to pass such traffic. Examples:

The United Kingdom does not have a Third Party agreement with the US. Therefore:

-Unlicensed visitors in the shack may NOT speak with the ham in the UK.
    -Messages on behalf of others may NOT be passed.
    -Even innocent ones such as "Tell Uncle Bertie 'Hello' next time you are in London". or
    "My wife in the kitchen yelled to say 'Thanks for the care package".

4. KD2EOM

KD2EOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, if the parents are licensed and they are present with the kid then the kid can operate under the parent's guidance using the parent's callsign and the parent's license privileges.

MI0YLT and KE0EYJ like this.
  5. MI0YLT

MI0YLT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greeting messages are used by my younger sister savannah 9 years and Rory 6 years under my dads callsign after asking the other station will they accept a greetings message as some countries don't allow it but they are few.
    Great way to getting a taste of being on the air as with my sister grace 2i0gyl having the license too they even though very young have a fair grasp of operating procedures also stops us kids from being mic shy later also they know a lot of people locally on ham radio and it's a good way to lead them into the hobby.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

An example of how the radio rules are slow to catch up with current technology. You could 'Face-time' over the internet right now with Uncle Bertie or the wife with full HD live video, from almost any country in the world.

7. KA0HCP

Those are commercial services. Amateur radio is not a commercial service. These rules satisfy jealous companies, and jealous government communications agencies that we are not in competition. Still reasonable rules, and it is individual countries that decide whether to allow Third Party Communication. It has nothing to do with technology.

KC1TTT likes this.