RTTY Operations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE6DDT, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. VE6DDT

VE6DDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious, as I've never personally used it.
    But, where do you guys go now to get your printer (et al) equipment from ?
    I assume you are mostly using 66 wpm still, and as I'm sure this is hard to find equipment, I was just wondering.
    (Hopefully, a friendly post, that will not attract reams of negative responses). [​IMG]

2. KG4UDX

KG4UDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I expect that most RTTY operations on the net these days are done with a TNC or a RigBlaster/Computer setup. I wouldn't expect that there are many teletype machines still running anymore.

3. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

I haven't even SEEN a real green key machine in a lot of years. I'd say it's almost all done with computers now. I got rid of my model 28 Teletype in 1987 when I got my first PC and PK232. And the last ship I was on was a Sealand/Nedlloyd ship in 1994. There was a computer with a ham type TNC for SITOR/TTY on that ship; no machines.

I'd say the scent of teletype oil is a thing of the past. Time marches on. Nothing like having a model 19 cranking tape through the TD and local printer running too! What a sight/sound/experience!

Chris

4. mackinac

mackinac Banned

There are two issues here: the modulation scheme and the hardware used.

These days there are a multitude of digital modulation schemes in use on the ham bands, more than I can keep up with.  The older FSK RTTY mode is still in use.  This uses the 5-bit Baudot code at 45.45 bits/sec (60 wpm) with 170Hz FSK modulation.

It is common to use a computer with a sound card as a modem.  There are several programs available.

Because the modulation scheme for RTTY has not changed it is still possible to use the mechanical Teletype machines.  Although it can be a bit difficult when receiving a computer generated signal because the computer might not be sending proper CR/LF control signals.

Just as there are people restoring and maintaining older tube radios, there are those who maintain and use Teletype machines.  If interested, sign up for the GREENKEYS mail list at qth.net or check out the RTTY web pages.

5. VE6DDT

VE6DDT Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Thanks guys, appreciate the insight ! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.