RTTY Contests are fun!

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KE0MD, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE0MD

KE0MD Guest

So I got into my first RTTY contest today (NAQP RTTY). I've not had real good luck with digital modes with my radio so far, but when I tuned myself down up to the wasteland that is 10 meters and tried again to make things work, I was getting good results this time, so I decided to wade into the fray. Haven't had quite so much fun in ham radio for a LONG time. Signals were good, but sure made me wish for some good filters on the old IC-730. Loud signals would make other signals just disappear! But still, a LOT of fun, including contacts with New Zealand and Russia on 20m - couple of new ones since I started back into the hobby last year. Maybe I'll end up working more RTTY contests now!

2. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Yesterday morning and afternoon 20 meters was wall to wall RTTY signals, I made a few contacts for fun.

Later in the afternoon 40 meter activity was picking up as well and there were even some stations on 80 meters already.

Yes I will agree, RTTY contests are fun.

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

It may not be the greatest for that but it is better than some others of it's time.
    Some had a ceramic filter in them and the 730 has a mechanical filter that is better. Some of us who had IC-740's back then bought the mechanical filter for the 730 and put it in the IC-740 as it was an easy drop in replacement.
    It was a big improvement and only cost about $30.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

But don't you realize that by participating in a contest that you were denying someone access to the bands and thereby preventing them from enjoying amateur radio on their schedule? You should be ashamed of yourself!

5. AA8IA

AA8IA Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice! You know, I didn't feel bad about denying anyone access to the bands -- after all, people with multielement yagis and 1kw deny me access all the time. Those people who complain just need to learn to move the dial around. I'm always amazed at how much I find that never gets spotted. There's always somebody out there somewhere CQing. If you're the first one to hear them, you're probably going to work em.

Mike

6. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is one of the most enjoyable modes, especially when it comes to contesting. Next to CW, I have made the most contacts using RTTY contests. Very simple to get started on the mode and also one of the easiest to make the transition to SO2R, if you want to increase your score. Outside of the ARRL, CQ and NCJ sponsored contests there are many others, maybe not as big, but you can usually find the bands active.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.