RSP2 Enhanced Software Defined Receiver

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KB7ZAR, Oct 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB7ZAR

KB7ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

E1BCFE9D-B14B-4793-8701-E33B687B8589.jpeg I won this today at a ham swap in Oregon.
    Not sure of what it all can just did a little research after getting notified that I won it.
    This could be a big learning curve for me.
    In a nut shell what can I use this for. Just getting into HF I have my newly upgraded extra class license It has received great reviews.

2. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

The RSP2 is a very nice SDR receiver that will cover from almost DC right up to 2 GHZ. I only have two of them so far and they are in use all day, every day.

You will need a USB A to B cable to connect the SDR to your computer. A higher quality cable with ferrite chokes at each end would be preferred.

You will also need some SMA adapters to connect to the SDR antenna ports. Usually SMA to UHF and SMA to BNC are a good start.

For SDR software I recommend that you download SDRConsole (free) onto your Windows computer. I find it to be somewhat easier to understand than the SDRUno software that SDRPlay provides and has all the features that are needed to wring the best performance out of the radio. There is also an active SDRConsole Google.io forum that can assist you with any questions.

You'll have great fun beginning your SDR journey with this great radio. Good luck!

regards, Roy

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    W4RAV likes this.
  3. KB7ZAR

KB7ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Already ordered the sma to uhf connectors will get the usb A to B later this week and will download the software also on laptop.
    To start out I’m going to connect it to a big stick antenna just to listen on until I get my new HF antenna (6-80) I’m assuming you can transmit using this device ? With proper antenna. I Look forward to using this. I’m also going to tell my supervisor about this
    devise It would be great for him to listen to shortwave radio like he did years ago.

4. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent. However, this SDR is only a receiver, as are most on the market.

There are SDRs that are transceivers such as the PlutoSDR or the LimeSDR or the HackRF. They typically have very wide frequency coverage, for instance my PlutoSDR covers from 70Mhz to 6GHZ They typically have very low power output (PlutoSDR is 5mw) so require appropriate amplifiers for the bands of interest, but wideband RF amplifiers are cheap and easily available on Ebay. In fact, I just received a 20db gain amplifier that takes my PlutoSDR from 5mw up to 100mw anywhere from 70mhz up to 3 GHZ. There are lots of others available.

One nice thing about the RSP2 is it's ability to go up to 10 Mhz of bandwidth. I use one of mine to listen simultaneously to 20m, 30m and 40m WSPR signals on a dipole antenna.

Another feature of the RSP2 is the ability to connect a GPS-DO for 1 hz frequency accuracy/stability, though I have found that they are typically good to about 3 hz without the external GPS-DO.

So, lotsa things to play with, hi.

regards, Roy

KB7ZAR likes this.
  5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Also keep in mind the while the SDRplay is a great little receiver, the software to run it on Linux can be problematic. For whatever reason the SDRplay folks have not done a very good job with their Linux support, and installation can be very very clunky.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

... however, if you like Windows, many SDR programs are available and support SDRPlay nicely...

7. NB4R

NB4R Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't actually transmit with this receiver, but with the correct switches you can use the SDR as your receiver while using your regular transceiver to transmit with. I use it in this fashion. The SDRuno software the guys that developed for this receiver is great! It is much fun learning the uses of these receivers.