RSP1A with GQRX on RPi3 B+

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by G4GXO, Jan 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. G4GXO

G4GXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I have GQRX running happily on my RPi3 B+ with 7" touchscreen and an RTL-SDR V3 and I am considering an upgrade to a radio with full HF coverage. I'm aware that the Airspy HF+ works on this combo but how about the SDRplay RSP1A or 2? (The extended coverage of these front ends is an attractive compromise over the signal handling ability of the HF+).

Regards

Ron G4GXO

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I sold my RSP1A after purchasing an AirSpy HF+, but I did not need the extended coverage, as I was after signal handling. If extended coverage is what you need, the RSP1A is the way to go. It still is one of the best values out there.

I'm not like some here that will 'pump up' a piece of equipment while they own it, until they sell it, and then call it garbage.

I don't currently need 10MHz waterfall, or DC to daylight frequency coverage. The HF+ best fulfills my current requirements. If it ever changes, I will not hesitate to purchase the RSP1A again.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  3. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no personal experience with RSP1A and gqrx on Raspberry PI3, (I am running it on an X86 laptop), but I read in the gqrx Google group that this setup is running at the limit. People report audio stuttering with narrow filters (CW) and/or higher sample rates and other problems that indicate CPU load problems.

4. G4GXO

G4GXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I think for an RPi based scheme the safest route is an HF+ supplemented by my RTL-SDR V3 to fill the "gaps".

Regards

Ron G4GXO

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good approach. I own an RTL-SDR v3, another v2, and a bunch of no-names. For VHF/UHF they are good enough for most uses. An FM trap may be needed, if close to powerful FM broadcasting stations, but that is all.

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently use the SDRplay rsp2 on a laptop, but I've not yet tried it on a Pi3. I do have a number of other Pi stuff including a Pi Foundation touchscreen.... so it does look like a doable thing for me.

I'v got one question: how much power does the SDRplay need... and will the Pi power it straight from the usb port? or would I need a powered usb hub?

7. W4AUE

W4AUE Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to run my SDRplay on my RSPI3+ ............... ssssssslllllllooooooooowwwwww!