ad: dxeng

rotor repairman

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N5YPJ, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
  1. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Anyone have recommendation on a rotor repairman?

Richard / N5YPJ
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When mine wear down, I get new rotors at AutoMart.:eek:

Do you mean rotator? Which kind is it?
  3. N5YPJ

Rotator ...sorry. Yaesu G-450A. The rotator part turns fine full 450 degrees (it overlaps) but the indicator needle doesn't move at all from north.

Last rotator I owned was an Alliance HD 73 so you might know I'm not to up on rotators.
  4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Yaesu G-450A is a bit more complicated for it's display then some of the older rotators. The rotator you have uses a variable resistor for position feedback. That signal is fed to your control box and through some op-amps and then your display. You can do a continuity check and see if the variable resistor is okay. If it is then your problem will be in the control box.
    You can get the schematic and the manual here;
    You could even buy a cheap DVM, hook it up to the lines coming from the rotator and read the resistance. Make a chart that you can use as reference of the position. The Yaesu way of doing this is far more complex then it needs to be.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. WB2WIK

Make sure the plugs on both ends (control box and rotator) are fully seated and all the pins are really making contact.
  6. N5YPJ

I have the manual but many thanks for the link to PDF schematic and 400% increase!
  7. WB2WIK

Most problems with Yaesu rotators are traced to pins not making adequate contact in the connectors either at the motor or at the controller. In fact, every one I've seen had that problem. The connectors can appear to be seated, and the pins still not making contact.
  8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu USA (California) is your PRIMARY repair center and parts for USA.

ALL Yaesu OEM replacement parts come from Japan ( No US suppliers used), now via China after 2011 earthquake & tsunami effects.
    If you do not use Yaesu USA -- You are on your own, unless you find a mechanically inclined amateur, who would assist you.

CATS and Norm's Rotor Service ONLY work on, provide parts, and repair USA mfg. rotators (CDE, HyGain, Alliance). NO repair work on Yaesu/Kenpro rotators -- due to parts availability.

These Yaesu controller boxes have TWO common problems, reported since 1990s on various amateur rado Internet boards.

1. Stripping of nylon gears (W3DHJ)
    2. Broken rubber belt.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  9. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Another super intelligent post from the AWSOMEST. Maybe you ought to talk to Norm's Rotor Service and CATS Rotor Service (ROTOR DOC) about changing their names so we know that they are talking about Rotators and not Brake or Ignition Rotors. It is pretty confusing for SOME people.

10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy, my copy of Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary is getting a "workout" today!

Rotator, n., a person or thing that rotates.

Rotor, n., the rotating part of a motor.

It seems to me that "rotor" comes slightly closer to the unit that alters the direction of an antenna in either the horizontal plane or the vertical plane. Technically, to be a "rotator" the entire unit would have to rotate, not just a portion!

Also, the term used to describe this unit utilized to alter the direction of an antenna, is, within the CDE manuals, "rotor"!

Yaesu, on the other hand, uses the term "rotator" to describe the units manufactured by that company.

As such, there seems to be no universally accepted terminology within the amateur radio community as to which term is proper!

Glen, K9STH
  11. N5YPJ

But what would it be known as in the Texan dictionary Glen? :D
  12. WB2WIK

I think it's perfectly clear which is correct.

A rotator, being something that rotates, has only one meaning in the realm of radio communications. A rotor can have a few, which can lead to confusion.

Since I'm easily confused, I'll stick with rotator.
  13. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

In the radio/TV industry market segment and amateur radio service, the usage of "rotator" is slightly expanded from Webster's. The "thing" is defined as the total System
    the rotor (outdoor motor) and the control/power box (indoor) .... so then it becomes:

The System that rotates (assumption being the mast passing through the rotor [motor] ).

14. KO6WB

It seems the topic of the thread keeps getting diverted to such things as the definitions of words. Then it degrades to who is right or more right. Sigh........
  15. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

This needs to be a Forum Sticky.

IF you own a Kenpro/Yaesu Antenna rotor in North America,
    THEN your Service Center and Parts Source is Yaesu USA in California.

There are NO third-party Yaesu repair centers in North America,
    And likely never will be due to the fact that
    ALL OEM-specific Yaesu parts are made in Japan or China (must be ordered through Yaesu USA).

Common parts (stainless steel ball bearings, metric machine bolts) can be acquired through
    normal USA or Canada hardware and industrial suppliers/distributors (Granger, McMaster-Carr)

Some older Kenpro/Yaesu models (KR-5400, G-5400), are End of Life (EOL)
    due to unavailability of some custom OEM parts used in this model.
    In these situations, you are ON YOUR OWN with custom fabricators in North America.

For example, KB5WIA documented his DIY motor repair (rewinding motor) for a G-5500 AZ-EL
    The replacement motor was back-ordered from Japan, Likely due to continuing issues with OEM suppliers or Yaesu facilities post March 2011 earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear evacuations.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  16. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

A "rotamotor"!

As for "rotor" versus "rotator": Since, for at least 6-decades, CDE has been calling the devices "rotor" versus a "Johnny come lately" like Yaesu calling them "rotator", I will stick with the historical term!

Glen, K9STH
  17. WB2WIK

18. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The real issue is not the technocal term it is the fact that someone who knows better pretended he didn't know what the OP was referring to. Just another one of the "AWSOMEST'S" condescending posts to let everybody know that he is perfect and knows more than everyone else. As fo me. I already knew that because of the number of posts he has.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  19. KO6WB

Okay guys, see what I mean? Are we having fun yet? Yipe!!!!!
    When it comes to technical terms there are some variations some use. That doesn't make it wrong and as long as you know what they are trying to communicate then it has done it's purpose.
  20. WB2WIK

Yeah, it's all silly.

I figure definition #1 for "rotator" is closest to how we use them.

If I'm wrong, so what?:p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.