ad: elecraft

Roof melt tablets

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by K8MHZ, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday I had the ice taken down from the eaves....hundreds of pounds of it.

Has anyone used roof melt tablets?

Last year I tried the trick about putting salt in a nylon stocking and throwing it up on the roof. I didn't see any improvement and come spring I had a pair of nylon stockings on my roof.

Personally, I don't see how the pellets would be any better, save for the fact that I wouldn't have to hire someone to climb up on my roof and get the pantyhose down once it got warm.

2. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve never heard of putting salt on your roof. I don’t think it would be a good idea, might cause the shingles to discolor or rot out sooner.

I bought that heat tape you nail to the roof in a zigzag pattern about two feet wide.

The idea was that the ice would not bunch up in the gutters and cause the water to backup under the shingles and not be able to leak into the house.

It sorta worked I guess. The gutters still got full of ice but the last two or so feet of the edge of the roof didn’t have the buildup like before.

I guess your supposed to take the heat tape down in the spring as it didn’t work the next year.

Now I have a ‘roof shovel’ on a long pole. I use it to pull the snow off the edge of the roof. It works alright but you do get a lot of snow in the top of your jacket.

3. W9JR

W9JR Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark: I use the roof melt tablets! They work! I had a big ice dam, so I rigged up a cup at the end of a long pole, put the tablet in it ... both the cup and the tablet is about the size of a hockey puck ... lifted it up to the ice dam, tilted the cup ... and the pellet sat right on top of the ice dam. I did that on several locations. Soon, the pellet melted a hole straight down through the ice, releasing the water dammed up behind it. I tried throwing the pellets, but if they didn't "land" just right, they rolled off the roof ... into the deep snow ... now had to find it. So, I rigged up the pole. I also use the cup filled with sidewalk ice melt ... and spread that on the ice dams, too. No ... I don't use salt ... just the stuff that isn't supposed to do harm to the roof, gutter, or siding.

4. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a kid, our elderly neighbor Mr. Lawn would climb up on his roof and shovel the snow off. Even though he was well into his 80s and had a hip replacement, his driveway was the first one shoveled after a snow storm. While the rest of us were still clearing the driveways and walks, Mr. Lawn was up on his roof pushing the snow off. Everyone figured he would kill himself doing that, but it didn't happen. He kept right on shoveling his roof until the winter before he passed on (he just didn't wake up one morning).

5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

MHZ:

When someone asks why there are nylon stockings on your roof, just SMILE!

That will leave them guessing . . . :cool:

Glen, K9STH

6. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Do many people in your parish pay for a person to knock the snow from their roof ? This sounds like a good way to reduce the large numbers of unemployed in the cooler parts of the Union which would be of benefit to the smoothed government unemployment figures which regularly appear.

G0GQK

7. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

The best solution is to live where it doesn't snow... :rolleyes:

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to be there, Mark, when you buy the stockings--you can really make them wonder by buying fishnet ones.

"Ohhhhhh, Rocky!"

9. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean no one sells some kind of Black paint to spray on top of the ice to cause enough heat from the sun to melt the ice & snow?

10. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

This is just a thought - bucket loads of crushed charcoal dust? very cheap, very black and you don't have to worry about disposal - it's just carbon.

But very, very messy if you end up spilling it where you don't want!

11. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, that might work.

Or, maybe a black plastic tarp that can be tied down against the wind.

12. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

That's why I live where I do.

13. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you carry it up to the roof, be very careful not to walk where the stuff settles. You don't want a big carbon footprint, do you?

14. AD4DQ

AD4DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Forget that!! With my luck I would fall off the roof.... I just wait, the snow melts eventually. I do keep the driveway clean all the time, now that you mention it, driving back and forth over snow just creates ice and thats not fun when you have a 50 foot driveway covered in ice.

15. W6TMI

W6TMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And you could buy it with your CARBON CREDITS!

:eek:

16. XU7ADQ

XU7ADQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger that.
    Me too ;)

17. W4KTL

W4KTL Ham Member QRZ Page

[video=youtube;U-AvCFskYIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-AvCFskYIY[/video]

18. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a proposal 35+/- years ago: Scatter charcoal over the icecaps to avert the coming glaciation.
    Can't remember if it was in Time or Newsweek.

19. K8MHZ

Thanks,

I see proper placement is essential. Makes sense.

20. K8MHZ

Most people that pay have neighborhood kids or friends that need money do it, at least in my area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.