Rock & Roll technology innovation from Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Sep 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1LOC

W1LOC Ham Member QRZ Page

SOLID, solid post!! Thanks and 7 3 all.

W1YW likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what the NEW Gibson did with Oberheim...man, I like the new Gibson management(!):

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gib...iving-the-oberheim-brand-back-to-tom-oberheim

3. W9YW

W9YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The music business brought out folks like Bob Heil, who goes strong today. Cerwin-Vega! had strong speakers and well-tuned cabinets, but their arc-welder power amps ruled.

In turn, they connect to another great inventor (or copycat, depending on your view-- let's agree on improver) Pete Traynor. Pete made killer Fender Twin improvements, then went on to develop much with Yorkville Sound in Toronto/Scarsborough ON. When Pete was good, he was amazing. I worked at their subsidiary, Long and McQuade....

Later, when I was a manufacturer's rep, Gene found out I knew about electronics and acoustics and yes, woodworking, and so I became Cerwin-Vega!'s first QC Director, this long before Gene slowed down.

The engineering talent in the San Fernando Valley of CA was immense. Add in access to materials, and great things were built there. I worked for JBL and Hitachi while there. Then I was tempted in to the evils of small CPUs and TTL circuitry.... and became lost in computing for nearly forty years. Inside computing were Wayne Green, 73 and Byte Magazines.... and solder jockeys with a clue had a great time, as did I.

Much of tech today has been birthed as an amateur radio idea, and the engineers and technicians of yesterday paved the way. Although much noise is made about software engineers, the hardware people had Moore's Law on their side-- and also the resin-core wave soldering machines.

K9ASE, N2AMM, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

WR2E likes this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I first met Wayne Green on 2M AM when we both lived in Brooklyn, he was the RTTY Editor for CQ iffn I remember and later Editor. He offered me a job at 73 in Peterborough NH when I left the USN but he was too cheap :p National Radio offered me a much better job. We kept in touch all thru the decades and I last saw him a few weeks before he passed.

I still have the first 3-4 issues of BYTE somewhere.

Carl

6. N9NY

N9NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chet Atkins

7. N9NY

N9NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember Electric Lady Land in NYC.

8. KC0KEK

KC0KEK Ham Member QRZ Page

The first console in Eddie Van Halen's 5150 home studio was designed by Bill Putnam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Putnam. The studio was inside a homemade Faraday cage due to a nearby AM station.

W0PV likes this.
  9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Another fascinating pop music anecdote, and another connection with Amateur Radio ...

Also from the cited wiki page for Bill Putnam,

"Putnam's interest in music began in this period, and his flair for electronics started when he was in the Boy Scouts working toward a 'wireless' merit badge. At thirteen, he tried and failed (!) to become a licensed Ham operator but at fifteen he succeeded, earning a Class B Call sign WA9PUK."

Glad the young Scout persisted! :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    KC0KEK likes this.