Rock & Roll technology innovation from Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Sep 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, its no secret that I play, and produce music. I just try to keep that off the internet. For the moment, call it my 'private pleasure'.

People just like the WORD 'FRACTAL'---most companies with 'fractal' in their titles have nothing to do with fractals....

Fractal Antenna System,Inc. was started in 1995 and pre-dates these other 'fractal--like-that word' companies.

There was a company called 'Fractal Systems' in Florida (founded after the above) that notoriously had its principles go to jail for de-frauding the government on various contracts. N-O connection to the above!! :)

There is no such thing as 'fractal audio'. The basis functions are sinusoidal waves, which makes them 'Fourier' and not 'fractal'. It is, on occasion, useful to describe certain ' sonic distortion' regimes are 'fractal' because of the non linearities.

Hope that helps:)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    W0PV likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that we shouldn't downplay what Ken did, especially with his 'wireless mike' stuff. The system was a huge enabler for live venues, the first of its kind (earlier wireless mike systems were noisy, dropped out, or had major 'coloration' of the input signal.

Ken, and Bob Heil (for example) are two hams who, among others, enabled the modern 'live performance' era.

Chip W1YW

4. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

That depends on how you look at it.
    Here's an mp3 clip with outtakes of a fractal music CD that I put together a long time ago (DOS 3 era):
    http://www.solorb.com/fracmus/sampler.mp3
    The melody and volume are fractal, in some cases the rhythm is fractal.

You can read about it here: http://www.solorb.com/fracmus/
    I'm not really selling the CDs anymore, I plan on uploading it to archive.org to give away.

That video of the 'dozer crushing new guitars is tough to watch, what a waste of materials and effort,
    it reminds me of a photo I saw on QRZ with piles of Collins gear rotting in the rain.

W0PV, KJ4VTH and W1YW like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice!

There is 'fractal music'. :)

My point is that sound waves (unless nonlinear) are not fractal:)

W0RIO likes this.
  6. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Understood.

I went ahead and uploaded my CD to archive.org, that's been on my list of things to do for a long time, it's here:
    https://archive.org/details/fractalseverywherev1

No discussion of ham radio and music is complete without mentioning
    Chet Atkins (W4CGP), Les Paul (a radio pirate), Bob Heil (K9EID) (already mentioned) and of course Joe Walsh (WB6ACU).

JoeWalshGotAnyGum.png

KC7HDE, KM1H, K4PIH and 1 other person like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,

Joe is a survivor. He is the first to admit that after all the drugs and booze and partying, he is lucky to come out the other side.

Frankly, Joe looks much YOUNGER and HEALTHIER today than he did 30 years ago! That's because he chucked the pills and smoke and juice:)

More power to him:)

N2EY and WZ7U like this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The world wonders ... ;)

Here is a PODCAST (always popular on today's Zed News :() of a biographical interview with another member of that ham radio rock & roll audio gang, Richard Factor, apparently aka @WA2IKL.

"This week, John and Stewart are joined by prolific inventor, visionary and founder of Eventide, Richard Factor. Part one of the interview features Richard’s formative years - from his pre-teen experiments in ham radio, which interfered with the neighbor’s TV reception to his ‘phone freak’ adventure that earned him a free ride ‘downtown’ to an inspirational meeting with Bob Moog (before for he was ‘Bob Moog’), and on to his first job in the ‘60s as NYC top forty radio station WABC’s “Evil Ox”. You'll also hear about how Eventide got its name and the development of revolutionary studio products like the Instant Phaser, the Omnipressor® and the early Digital Delay lines."

CAUTION! This podcast discussion is rated R for a small amount of explicit profanity !! If sensitive to that, its best to IMMEDIATELY skip the intro and go directly to the interview starting at about 14:30.

Return of the Jedi, Richard Factor

73, John WØPV

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  9. KE8IWM

KE8IWM Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page