Robust 3/8 mounting for hamstick on small car

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W4EAE, Mar 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is my situation:

I have a 23-year-old Toyota Corolla that is regularly serviced and still runs very well, and that I intend to drive until the wheels fall off. It is my daily driver, and the car that I take out of town when my wife is not joining me.

On this car, I have a Comet UHv-6 mounted with a pretty robust lip mount on the trunk. This gives me serviceable coverage (for my purposes) on 70cm, 2m, 10m, 20m & 40m. I have this antenna guyed and is holding up quite well--with the help of some blue thread-locker. I bought, tuned, and tested the 80m coil for the UHV-6, but it is only barely serviceable, it would only be able to be used if I forego 40m, and it is just too heavy to put at the top of that antenna.

For 80m, I use a hamstick. Just because I had the bits and pieces to do it, I have it mounted on the opposite side of the trunk from the Comet on an NMO mount with a 3/8 adapter. I guyed this antenna as well, and it has held up with no real problems or visible flexing of the sheet metal on which it is mounted. This still is not ideal, both for reasons of security, and because it is not a permanent installation. The hamstick stays off for most the week, and is only put up when I am traveling at night (about 2 out of every 3 weekends). Getting the guying right just takes too long with it going up and down that often.

Anyone have any ideas about a mount that would be strong enough not to have to guy the hamstick?

Is guying the hamstick necessary even if the mount is exceptionally strong? I have slung and bent it every which way with it off, and I really cannot see how the whip would ever break. I also take this thing off and examine it about once a week.

Let me make everyone aware that I have a good understanding of exactly how bad an antenna the 80m hamstick is. However, it works quite well for my purposes--<300 mile conversations while on the road at 1:00am.

I am not completely adverse to a different antenna, but realise that it would be replacing a $25 antenna that currently works well.

2. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never guyed a hamstick or any other mobile antenna. If you hit a tree branch with a guyed antenna it is going to do some damage. Any kind of good 3/8 mount other than a magnetic would probably work fine.
    Remember, The best antenna is one that is "In The AIR & On The AIR" K0UO Rhombic and Vee Beam Antenna Farm. https://www.k0uo.com

3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I second the Breedlove suggestion....Grest stuff !!! (^8 I use one of his ball mounts on my mobile.

John WD5IKX

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I third the Breedlove suggestion.

For a 3/8-24 mount on my Volvo station wagon (which I no longer have, but ran it for 20 years!) I had a Motorola ball mount that was very heavy duty and worked fine with Hamsticks with no guying or anything, but lately I don't see those big, heavy-duty Motorola ball mounts for sale anywhere. The Breedlove is pretty close.

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the olde Hustler / New-Tronics BM-1 bumper mount w/ MO-1 mast + extended RM-80 resonator. It was VERY tall and, without tethering, exerted a LOT of stress on the mount. It even survived being driven into the garage... more than once.

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you all very much for your suggestions.

Late last week I acquired a Diamond 3/8 24 lip mount that I used during my travels this weekend. Once I got it installed, I was able through some bending and shaking of the antenna while on the mount that I did not guy it, and I had no problems. I am considering the Breedlove mounts as well as they look exceptionally strong, and would provide an added level of comfort.

My primary concern is not the car, or hamstick; rather that the antenna or mounting would be compromised during travel and possibly damage a following car. Regular inspection seems a necessity no matter what in order to ally this concern.

The past Friday evening, I surprised quite a few people (some <150 miles away up to about 600 miles away) when I told them I was running 100w into a 75m hamstick while traveling down the interstate. :)

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. KN4LGM

KN4LGM Ham Member QRZ Page