ad: rfparts

Road Trip San Diego to San Antonio

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W6OGC, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm planning a road trip in about a month from San Diego to San Antonio, I-8 to I-10, a trip I have not taken in a long time since I used to fly our plane on this route. If I recall correctly, there used to be repeaters linked most of the way, Zia or something like that. Does that still exist? Are there better choices to stay in touch on the road?

Either 2M or 440 is fine.
  2. AE7AD

AE7AD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ZIA long gone But try the CALZONA Link I do not have link seating for all but here in Phoenix we have smith pk, 146.68 ... look up Arizona repeater asc (ARA ) for links also, Sam Diego or Imperial valley ..I have not used it in5/6 yr one of my best friends lived in El Centro He is SK.W6IQL K. J. Jones Glenn AE7AD.
  3. KJ6VCN

KJ6VCN Ham Member QRZ Page

CALZONA only goes as far as Phoenix, it is a shared project of the ECRA and the Arizona Repeater Organization. After that, I have no idea.

Note that there is the Cactus Intertie (map), but it's a closed (member-only) system which requires a letter of sponsorship from a current member to be considered to get in.
  4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The EAARS Network has replaced much of the Zia connection. You can find info at

The repeaters you will pick up will start just east of Gila Bend and the system will carry you to east of Deming NM.

The repeaters in order you will need are 147.16, 145.41, 147.08, 146.86, 147.28, 145.21. All have pl of 141.3.

Look for me, N7AM or N5BG. The system is not heavily used.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For that trip I use the 20 meter repeater that's built into the ionosphere. It usually works, and no membership required.:eek:
  6. W6OGC

I should have known you were a county hunter. ;)
  7. WB2WIK

Nah, it's so hard to drag a county back home strapped to the hood of the car...
  8. W6OGC

With all your other accomplishments and experiences, I figured you might be the meta county hunter, trying to work all counties FROM all counties.
  9. W6OGC

Thanks! The SANDRA repeater on Laguna 147.15/107.2 pl, has coverage of San Diego past Yuma, too.

Now what is there east of El Paso?
  10. WB2WIK

Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.:eek:
  11. W6OGC

It's a long way from anywhere to El Paso, but the furthest distance between two points on earth seems to be Austin to Lubbock, and the same distance back of course! I've traveled all over, to Europe many times, to the Middle East, to New Zealand, etc, and the longest trip was from Austin to Lubbock for UT-TT football games!
  12. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Naaaaaaaaa, Brownsville, to Dalhart is the longest trip. Second is Orange to El Paso.
    Both seem to take forever.
  13. WY5V

WY5V Ham Member QRZ Page

Just try using the VFO band scan if you radio has that feature. If not, I would recommend simply loading in all of the possible repeater pairs on 2m and 70cm and using the memory scan. I have a Kenwood D710. Although it will only transmit on 2m and 70cm, I also load in the 1.25m, 33cm and 23cm pairs as well.
  14. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Be sure to book a room along the riverwalk in San Antonio. There are many hotels that fit the bill. Then restaurants, night spots, shopping, the Alamo, and much more are all a short picturesque walk away. Or you can take a boat. Many of those spots are open for breakfast too. Perhaps they'll have the "Taste of San Antonio" of some other such public festival running in La Villita Park a block off of the riverwalk while you're there. It's a great place to visit any time of year.
  15. W6OGC

I grew up in the hill country north of San Antonio, and have more time at the Alamo than David Crockett. We marched in the Fiesta Parades every year, played the SA school in football, competed with them in other activities, and took our dates to "the big city" for dinner on special occasions.

Of course, a lot has changed since I lived in that area, and some of the things that haven't changed are different than I remember.

My drive will be part of our move back to the hill country, a one way trip.
  16. AD5ZC

AD5ZC Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome back!
  17. W6OGC

Thanks. The Eyes of Texas were always upon me.

18. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Anywhere, TX to El Paso is the longest trip ever.
  19. W6ECE

W6ECE Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was stationed at Ft. Sam in 1953, River Walk was off limits to servicemen as it was a bad place. Guess they have cleaned it up in the short time since!

Texarkana is closer to Chicago than it is to El Paso. That is one big state. A good state to be from. The further from the better. (West Texas that is)
  20. W6OGC

It was a real bad place up until the Hemisfair in the mid-60's when things got cleaned up pretty well, and then in the early 70's when the anti saloon laws were repealed, it took off. Before that white men didn't go down there any time and nobody else did either unless they were looking for trouble.

One of the pervasive memories of growing up watching San Antonio TV stations was Henry Guerra reading the news on WOAI at 10 pm, most often leading off with "2 men were killed this evening in a bar in the xxxx block of South Presa," etc. The only thing that varied was the number and the location. Somebody ended up dead almost every night down there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.