RG-6 vs RG-58

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4JWA, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

My adapters mostly consist of a short piece of coax with a PL-259 on one end and an F on the other.

I bought flooded because much of it was going to be lying on the ground outdoors. And water is death on coax if it gets inside due to animal bites, etc.

Get some good crimp-type connectors. Those are on my to-do list. There's a thread here about that: try searching for snap-on F connectors.

I'll second that, with the emphasis on the word "MANY". I've been a ham since 1976, and almost all the coax I have ever used was 75 ohm: CATV hardline, RG-59, and RG-6. It can be obtained very inexpensively.

I just got a free 1000' roll of messenger aluminum braid RG-11 with connectors and crimping tool. It was expensive to ship, but rest assured, it'll be used here.

That page is a real eye-opener. I suggest reading the graph there.

I regularly run 700 watts on 160 CW through RG-6 and F connectors, and I know people who run 1500 watts through it.

Why waste money on 50 ohm feedline if you don't need it? Think of all the money saved towards more important things.

2. W0BTU

See there? Another happy 75 ohm customer. ;)

Pay attention to the man, son! :)

I have used those to match 50 ohms on the tower to 3/4" 75 ohm hardline. How can you get anything simpler OR better than those? They are so simple and easy to make.

Used to? Sounds like there wasn't much demand for them.

At any rate, for HF I'm using a Collins 312B-4 that I recalibrated for 75 ohms 30 years ago. Works for me.

For VHF and UHF I made my own direction couplers from a chunk of copper-braid RG-11/U. The old thread-wires-under-the-shield trick.

3. W9JSW

W9JSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Get yourself a good crimping tool and the silicone grease filled f-connectors with rubber o-rings. Very solid, weatherproof connections will result. These connectors are a darker, dull looking metal as opposed to the shiny silver or gold ones.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. W0BTU

Where do you get those connectors?

I have some as you describe, gold colored. The problem with them is that they don't grip the cable right and can pull out, even when tightly crimped.

5. 4L4AGU

4L4AGU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm doing satellite installations for customers for several years, and since I has certain experience with RG-6, let me share it with you:

1. Good quality RG-6 cable is not any cheaper than any comparable 50 ohm cable.
    2. Same applies to F connectors. Quality ones cost about $3 each. Sure, there are offers when you can get pack of 100 for $7, but that's not the right quality.
    3. Good quality crimping tool costs around $100.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

All good points.

1. In the US you can buy a 1000' spool of a quality RG-6 for about a third of similar RG-58. When you start going to quad shield and also flooding the price goes up but so does the performance from poor of a single copper braid shielding and the outdoor life could be considered in decades. Do not buy CATV cable from a ham distributor.

2. Thats true for satellite work in the 1-2GHz range of the down converters. For ham use a bag of the generic O ringed connectors is fine; I cant see any return loss degradation to at least 1GHz.

3. If its a tool of your trade that is in constant use I agree. Home Depot over here has a crimper that will last most hams a lifetime.

Carl

7. W0BTU

I bought two different 1000' rolls of flooded, quad-shield Commscope RG-6 VERY inexpensively. EBay is your friend.

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have RG6 used as a Z matching section between loop feedpoints and RG8x line run to radio room.
    I had room for 40 and 30M loops behind the house and this matching method eliminated need for a tuner.
    Pick your loop feed method; two loops erected.

Balanced line and tuner = $200- $500 or more

Roll of RG8x = $ 29.95
    salvaged 75 ohm coax sections = $0.00
    Extra coax connectors = $ 10.00

9. W0BTU

That's a good point that should have been mentioned before! You can often get FREE coax and hardline from CATV companies.

My 3/4" and 1/2" hardline came from a 5000' reel. There was only 200' left on it, and they gave it away. Reason: the coax connectors and labor to use it cost more than the 200' that was left.

10. VK1OD

VK1OD Ham Member QRZ Page

I caution against the use of RG6 that uses CCS centre conductor on lower HF.

Belden's published data for 1189A shows a higher loss at lower frequencies than would be accounted for by homogeneous copper conductor.

I mean to test some, but every time I get some in my hands, I have thrown it out. I have a remaining length in this house that probably has CCS, and I intend replacing it, so if I keep my mind on it, I will save it and measure its performance at low HF compared to my usual stock that uses HDC centre conductor.

Owen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.