ad: elecraft

RFinder for Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod has been released!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2CYK, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Tx John for your support...

Not free but your subscription gets extended! Only way to have the App Store continue sending updates ;) and I have to pay the programmer!

2. W2CYK

LOL depends...

Some of us like to meet up with our local compatriots...some of my best trips around the world were enhanced by meeting local hams!

3. K7GFH

K7GFH Ham Member QRZ Page

May not have been how it was meant but funny none the less. Going to use this phrase in the future!

4. W2CYK

Here's another for you: Plagiarize at will!!! You will get extra credit!

LOL...I know...that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms...

Bob

5. KC2YU

KC2YU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I've been searching for an accurate way to find repeaters in the NYC metro area, but it seems the underlying data is just not accurate.

to be clear, I'm not referring necessarily to this app, but to all the online repeater directories.

My question is what is the underlying database that this app references? If it truly has the accurate location info for repeaters in the NYC area (something none of the online directories have), it's well worth the money.

Thanks,

Joseph, kc2yu

6. NC8X

NC8X Ham Member QRZ Page

I simply just program ALL of the repeater splints into my radios and then you will always have them all, just need to tinker with the PL . Plenty enough memories in modern radios to do it this way. If the repeater has activity tone search will grab the PL in seconds.

7. W2CYK

Joe...

Our data came from a variety of sources. As in any database of this type there are alway accuracy issues on one record or another, but we have been working diligently with various geos to improve accuracy on a country by country basis. Half of the repeaters in the world are in US, about 22,000, so that's a bit of a challenge, but I will tell you that we field about 100 requests/month for updates, deletes and adds worldwide. We have been told on previous forums that our NY area data is very accurate, but the good news is if you find an error, you can submit a change from the device (and shortly like this week the web at http://web.rfinder.net) or an add from the app or http://add.rfinder.net.

I hope this helps...

73's

Bob

8. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The Pocket size ARRL directory is $10.95 and the desktop is even more. How is that cheaper than $9.99 on iTunes? You still have to update them if you want to keep up.

And sure, Google searches are free but the device used to search it isn't. I need a computer or some such to pull Google out of the air. I've never seen one of those for $9.99.

..............Bob

9. W2CYK

Tx Bob...are you a a user already? Nice one mind if I plagiarize this next time I get a comment like that?

10. W6OEZ

W6OEZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lets see here, only 9.99 and has many other countries too! This will come in very handy when I go for my worked all echolink/repeater DXCC award……hmmmmm…..

Regards,
    W6OEZ
    …Nothing is Free…

11. KC2GYU

KC2GYU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not that I disagree with you, but whenever I renew my ARRL membership at Dayton, as I do every year, they give me a free "gift" and I usually opt for the pocket repeater guide.
    GPS capabilities are mainly what interests me in this app.

12. KE2UK

KE2UK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hats off to W2CYK !!!

I am a VP CIO and have worked with computer apps for over 33 years and been a ham for 45 years. I am truly impressed with the RFinder App for my iPhone. Bob has done an outstanding job in taking the eye straining various repeater directories and literally replaced them with shear simplicity and GPS keyed repeater finders. The APP is amazing and at the incredibly low subscription price, it is a cost effective and highly efficient tool. As a disaster relief EMCOMM operator (recipient of the 2010 ARRL International Humanitarian of the Year Award - Haiti Mission in Port-au-Prince post earthquake), having a tool like RFinder is invaluable and a tremendous time saver which could translate to saved lives.

Thanks Bob for bringing the world this amazing APP.

Best 73 to All,
    Ron Tomo
    KE2UK
    AAT2BC US ARMY MARS
    NF01RT US COAST GUARD AUX - HF
    ke2uk@arrl.net

13. WA4OAU

WA4OAU Ham Member QRZ Page

I paid the $10 and will pay the same on an annual basis, happily! I have a nice collection of old pocket directories, somewhere! My problem was I kept the directory in the car door pocket or the dash pocket or under the seat or........on and on. It was always somewhere else when I needed it! My iPhone lives on my belt and that means the directory is always on my belt! Thanks great work and I look forward to more ham radio apps for our phones, I just can't get enough talking!
    Gene WA4OAU

14. W2CYK

Ron...

That is the nicest thing anyone ever said about us. I really appreciate your comments and support! i can see you understand why we did this.

Thanks for the kudos...and congrats on your International Humanitarian Award...I saw your presentation out east at SCRC...Amazing job. You make us all look good.

Bob

15. N4FNB

N4FNB QRZ Member QRZ Page

Bob,

Sorry, I guess I started this anti-capitalist movement on your product when I posted that $9.99 was not a bad price. People use to refer to some anti-capitalist as communist but some only know of them in the history books. If you like a product, tell the seller and thank him for giving you an opportunity to buy it. If you don't think he should be able to offer it for sell, don't buy it, but don't slam him because it is yet to be an entitlement from the Federal government. All entitlements are paid for by someone not receiving them. If you pay for it, then it is not an entitlement. VA benefits are not entitlements, they are well earned. Social security we pay for each month we work. To "draw a check", .... don't bite the hand that feeds you. The only reason to be upset with Bob about this product is that I did not think about doing it first. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to purchase your product. God bless free enterprise.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.