RF Parts Caveat Emptor

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by AF4RK, Oct 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

They can also be found on certain frequencies on the ham bands and during contests.

2. KA8NCR

I have seen this on a mailing list and it is pretty compelling. My biggest concern is that before I take on something like that, I'd want to invest in a better spectrum analyzer.

3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W6PQL has 1kw pallets too http://www.w6pql.com/parts_i_can_provide.htm

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim's already done all that work, so if you follow his directives and use the low pass filters he sells and strongly recommends as part of the amp, your spectral purity should be the same as what he shows on his website, which is very good.

Remember, he was a QA Manager for HP...

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That s'plains why his stuff looks soooo good! :)

6. KA8NCR

Well, it is my callsign and I'd prefer not to have it heard on all the ham bands at once. It wouldn't be the first time a wiring mistake makes everyone take note of your new amplifier, and not in a good way. Plus I think it is a tad inconsiderate to take the new toy out for a spin without knowing exactly what it is doing. I know, call me pedantic.

I spent the afternoon trying to source a power supply and a chassis for it. Some of these 4U and above rack mount server chassis could work with a custom 19" panel. Some of those have lower sections with multiple fan holes already cut in them.

I think I'm in...

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you're right about the enclosure.

A rackmount server chassis should be fine for an SS amplifier where all the components really don't weigh any more than what was originally in there. It would not be fine for a tube amp that requires power transformers, the sheet metal isn't strong enough.

I have a spectrum analyzer (it's old, a 141T mainframe with two RF and one IF plug-ins, but it works fine) and I use it also. One of these days I'm going to spring for something newer but haven't yet.

8. KA8NCR

The power supply is going to be an issue. We used to have 90A 50V supplies for the robotic camera pedestals, but they were outrageously expensive.

9. W0AAT

There are some server power supplies that show up on ebay cheap that are 50 volt 40 amps...

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. W0AAT

There are some server power supplies that show up on ebay cheap that are 50 volt 40 amps...

WA7PRC likes this.