ad: SMHam-1

RF Amplifier Tubes- whats left & affordable for a RF Amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, May 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to match your tube with the plate voltage you can easily obtain. The 3-500Z and 8877 want higher voltages than the 3cx800 or 572B.

2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ameritron wants $2K for a new Eimac 8877. Machlett was selling new 8877 tubes on E-bay for $940 each. I purchased one for my AL-1500 and a few days later their lot of nine tubes was sold out.
    RadioDan sells Greenstone 8877 tubes imported from China. However; he has none in stock. Beware of used Eimac 8877 tubes manufactured in the late 80s; that lot appeared to be defective.

3. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

How about the Russian surplus military tubes such as the G17BT
    VERY reasonably priced at less than $40 incl shipping and many being sold offshore for much less.
    Also many used QRO broadcast tubes starting to hit the marketplaces now?
    Go big or go home!?
    Of course, the New fangled Amps features those tubes that are made of new space aged metal oxide silicon type single solid block type materials,,, LDMOS
    I think is the type of tube? Uh yeah....
    They seem to look very much more attractive, everyday!

K9ASE likes this.
  4. W2AI

You're right about that. Alpha 8410 new costs $6K while the AL-1500 is going for $4720. 8860 tubes for the Alpha 8410 is priced at approx. $720 and you'll need two of them for that particular amp. While the herculean 8877 tube for the AL-1500 , if purchased new from Ameritron, runs $2K.
    These RF transmitting tubes are no means cheap but they do "deliver the goods" and then some as the ads say.

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you already have a 8877 tube amp you owned for many years and now need a new tube you are stuck. 'Deep pocketed' hams would not care so much though. On the other hand when I decided to get an HF amp I avoided expensive replacement tube amps. My 572B amp that produces 800 watts PEP out is powerful enough. I do not own the best HF amp for sure, but I can live with that.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Chinese 3CX1500A7/8877s are $799 brand new and although I have not purchased one (yet) all the reports I hear are very good so I probably would not hesitate, if I needed one.

I also see "NOS" Eimac 8877s in the $1K range, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eimac-3CX1...202?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

Probably fine. Ceramic metal tubes have incredibly long storage life, so if it's unused but has been sitting on a shelf for 20 years, it's probably perfect.

7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "If you already have a 8877 tube amp you owned for many years and now need a new tube you are stuck. 'Deep pocketed' hams would not care so much though."

What are you going to spend on an amplifier as capable as an 8877 based amp?

800 bucks?

That's the cost of a new greenstone 8877. Or 1,000 from Ameritron.

8. W2AI

ABout three weeks ago, I contacted RadioDan and Greenstone for a 8877 tube. Both firms are out of stock of 8877s and they didn't know when another shipment will arrive. RadioDan told me there was going to be a price increase from $720 to ???? then the tunes will be shipped to US from China.

Machlett had a lot of nine new 8877s on Ebay up until about a week ago when the last one of the lot was sold. It was going for $940 per tube; shipping included. Ameritron sells spare new 8877 Eimac tubes but are asking $2,000 per tube !!! I ended up purchasing a new Machlett 8877 tube on ebay direct from Machlett--it was the 2nd to last one of the lot.

Currently, there no NEW 8877 tubes for sale except the Eimac 8877 in which Ameritron sells for $2K. The tube would have to be special ordered from Eimac.

The 8660 tubes used in the Alpha 8410 aren't cheap neither and you need two of them for that amp.

9. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

I had just checked the Ameritron website for the (roughly) 1,000 dollar price I cited.

Are Ameriton's prices not correct on their website?

10. W2AI

upload_2019-5-7_16-23-3.png