ad: Radclub22-1

Reviewing the Elad FDM S2 Software Defined Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ6YXI

KJ6YXI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@RODGER WD4IGX, please don't tell the my old English Professor that I still have not mastered typing class. It should have read transceiver!. I'm glad you caught it, I am sure it would have derailed a few. :)

2. 4L5P

4L5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Мне это очень нравится, 4L5P

W5KV likes this.
  3. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

большое спасибо

k5acl

4. WA0VY

WA0VY Ham Member QRZ Page

Anybody have any idea why SDR-Radio.com site is seemingly always unavailable? Anywhere else to get SDR Console?

5. WA0VY

WA0VY Ham Member QRZ Page

Never mind. Changed my DNS server address and found it.

6. HB9VQQ

HB9VQQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What you consider to be a horrible noise cannot be reproduced. What is your use case for a wider bandwidth than 3950Hz ?

73's

7. W5KV

I would guess ESSB... but I have no interest in part of the hobby in which only a small minority has the ability to take part in! (though I do consider myself an audiophile!)

8. KC8ZUL

KC8ZUL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I also use this receiver it is great. I am an AM'er and one caution is when running power in transmit be sure to disconnect and short to ground the HF antenna port as close to the Elad as possible, high power RF can enter the receiver during TX and vaporize the RX front end. Don't ask me how I know this.

Gerry

WA3VJB and W5KV like this.
  9. W5KV

lol... did you perform a smoke test? :p

I've used it as a panadapter transmitting from my 100w rigs. I don't think barefoot is an issue, but running higher power might be. I always got questions from folks on whether high power would interfere with these when used as a panadapter. I couldn't ever comment as I'm limited to 100w.

AM sounds beautiful on the S2 :)

WA3VJB likes this.
  10. K7QHO

K7QHO Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have run multiple tests on the Duo, own 2, and found no such fan related EMI issues affecting any part of either the receiver or transmitter chains. Just look at the swap forum, they don't last long for reasons. It can run 2 sets of 4 RXs/TXs, total of 8, in any 2 spectrum locations between 1.8 to 54 MHz; actually goes above 100 MHZ. Example 1 set one of the 4 on 2o mtrs while listening for openings on 6 mtrs. Within each set of 4 RXs/TXs, any of them can be configured for any mode. The ELAD-SW2 software is excellent and yes its fully CAT controllable and digital modes savvy. After living with my first Duo for a year I sold my FTDX-3000 because it was setting neglected and its a good rig in itself. Would I buy it again yes?, I did I own 2 of which it is mostly used for spectrum analysis and as a signal generator. Yes, it can also serve as a signal generator providing a level 0.0 dBm at a rear SMA jack.

ELAD makes fine gear and the FDM-DUO is one. It is SDR 16bit in/out 5W XCVR that runs with and surpasses a lot higher priced gear.

W5KV likes this.