ad: chuckmartin

Review of the Shark RF Openspot - K6UDA Radio Episode 38

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This week I'm reviewing the Openspot by Shark RF. No images to hunt down, It runs D-Star, DMR & Fusion all in one box.
    Don't forget to subscribe and enter to win a new Elecraft KX2
    Openspot Review.jpg

KB3HAQ, K9YEQ, K4LIX and 1 other person like this.
  2. WB2AKH

WB2AKH Ham Member QRZ Page

Forget about your politics, just tell me about the technology.

W9AT, W8VOM, KA8UGB and 1 other person like this.
  3. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out my review of the SharkRF openspot here

W8VOM, KA8UGB, KG5JJM and 2 others like this.
  4. KB0DD

KB0DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Merry Christmas Bob and keep the cool videos coming!....Dan/KB0DD

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Stuff. :)

6. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

not sure why we have 2 competitors in the same thread?
    I was researching this model and sadly there are several US hams that have dead upon arrival units and shark rf wants them to return the item without any help in return shipping of $90 usd via dhl
    the whole debate is rather sickening to say the least
    knowing my luck, if it wasnt for bad luck, I'd get a DOA unit
    sadly the other unit that peaks my interest is the dv4mini, but it has less options and flexibility
    I'm not sold at this point, even though I would like one maybe down the road after they possibly make a wifi version

7. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Got one for our 15 yr. old grandson.....in no time at all he was down in my shack using it already.

K8XG likes this.
  8. W5YAG

W5YAG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are planning on getting the DV4Mini for DMR then I would reconsider if I were you. While it receives audio well the transmit quality is poor at best.

AA1PR likes this.
  9. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Purchase it from a US dealer, instead of from SharkRF who is in Estonia. If anything happens to it, your dealer should handle the return.

$90 1-way is an exaggeration, and the SharkRF tech support guys do work with the customers to do trouble-shooting where needed. It sounds like you got some bad intel. I've bought 150+ of these units, so I have a little experience in the matter.

10. AA1PR

Thanks, I only wrote what I had read on their forum

11. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard MTC has some and possibly gigaparts. They'll take a return no problem.

12. AA1PR

Many Thanks

Hunting with Ted Nugent must have been a blast I need to watch those videos

AF6LJ likes this.
  13. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's it keep focused on Amateur Radio. No politics, please. Since Ted is paid he is a confirmed killed piece of garbage who will say anything to get a paycheck to feed his drug habit. Remember no politics, we don't care. Focus on the purpose of here is for Amateur Radio only. Stop impressing us with nothing unrelated to Ham Radio.

W5YAG likes this.
  14. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Being a neophyte with this stuff (I have one of those Fusion USB thingy's DV4Mini), that I no longer use because all it allows me to do is connect to the internet from my Fusion radio to the DV4mini thingy, about 1 foot away. Seems like a waste of time and money, total outlay was ~ $ 600.00 for something that I can't use

So what will this Shark do for me that the fusion stick won't? Why would I want to connect to the internet to talk to someone when I can just fire up the HF rig?

With that little antenna, how far will it transmit? I have zero repeaters near me and there is no way, I could connect to them with that.

Can you attach an outdoor antenna?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  15. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.