ad: elecraft

Research: 11 year solar cycle may be tied to planetary motion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Jun 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

KA2TMU, KK5JY, VK3GOR and 12 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting, Bernie.

Its not easy to find these correlations and they always look a bit muddy in the data.

Ironically, this takes us back to John Gribbin's 'Jupiter Effect' from 45 years ago! Of course, that was wrong--no calamity on planetary alignment-- but an effect on solar cycle shouldn't be discounted.

Chip W1YW

K0UO, W9VHE, K7YB and 6 others like this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

and what about the tidal forces of Saturn, Mercury & Mars? Seems if there is a correlation between Venus/Jupiter/Earth there there would be come concordance with the other planets.

K4WWK likes this.
  4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the second cited link carefully.

They paid special attention to the Venus/Jupiter/Earth alignment because that occurs every 11 years, coincidental with the known solar cycle.

They also allude that the combined tidal forces from all planets may have an additional effect on the internal workings of the Sun, the magnetic dynamo, via Taylor instability, and therefore may play a role in other solar flux variations superimposed over the 11 year cycle such as the Maunder Minimum.

K4WWK, WT4W, KD0CAC and 2 others like this.
  6. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, I got it... It's really Pluto. It got irritated a few years ago when they said it really wasn't a valid planet. So it got out of alignment and shut down the propagation.
    Humm just a thought.
    I'm not even gonna mention Uranus !!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    AF9US, K0UO, PE5I and 11 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OK...here we go...

Nelson's article shows a correlation, which is fine, but stresses that TERRESTRIAL RF PROPAGATION is directly modulated by planetary alignments. That's just wrong. It has nothing to do with planets modulating the terrestrial ionosphere.

The new study in the OP shows that it is the modulation of the Taylor instability below the 'surface ' of the Sun that is affected by these planetary alignments. This manifests as sunspot counts/ 22 year butterfly pattern.

IOW the effect on propagation is not causal- correlated to planetary alignment, but changes in that Taylor instability are so correlated. Planetary alignments modulate the Taylor instability but are not the only phenomena that cause its variations. For example, the wacky splits in sunspot cycle peaks are not caused by planetary alignments.

If Nelson had just presented the data without interpreting it he would have had a more useful scientific result. Interpretations are often not unique and locking into one separates science heroes from the forgotten. Occam's razor, BTW, does not seem manifest in Nelson's interpretation: it's not 'planets change the ionosphere'. It's 'planets change the Sun'.

Hope that helps.

Chip W1YW

KF5KWO, W4HM, KQ6XA and 2 others like this.
  8. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The theory behind this is pretty much over my head, but I like the fact that there are people who DO understand it and can explain why it affects HF propagation. Great stuff!

W1YW likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Correlation does not imply causality.

N4GNO/SK2022, AB7E, K4WWK and 6 others like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes too much knowledge is not a good thing....when I think of the Sun I see an opaque million degree plasma ball with convective transport and magnetohydrodynamic killer tendrils bigger than the Earth. When I think of the Earth I see a high density iron-nickel ball, with impurities, still cooling from primordial bombardment , formation, and radioactivity. Add an insulating crust to make a crunchy, unstable, and dangerous floating skin, broken in clashing parts.

The parable of the Garden of Eden is far more palatable!

Sometimes its better just to go outside, stare at the clouds, and listen to the birds, and not think much farther than you can spit;-)

G4HBY, K0UO, M6EVR and 16 others like this.
  11. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Not to worry, I am going to correct that situation.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

12. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interesting, especially considering you can fit 1 Million earths in the Sun, (And I assume the same for Venus and Jupiter, although Jupiter is larger)

My point being for such a small mass (Planets, one one millionth of the Sun) how anything could effect a mass that is 1 million times greater in size..

I am not saying it is not impossible, but the magnitude in difference in mass (Sun verses Planets), it is just hard logically pencil in the correlation

C U on the bands

NN2X Tom

KF5KWO and W4HM like this.
  13. KB6DAN

KB6DAN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let the Environmentalists play with this and it will Once again it is caused by Human activity on Earth.....

K4WWK and K7YB like this.
  14. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

15. KM4SJN

KM4SJN Ham Member QRZ Page

If this is true, wouldn't the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn be more powerful yet?
    Chip KM4SJN