Replacement of RCA 8122 Tubes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N2OTG, Jul 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. EI3Y

EI3Y Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I will have to place an advt in the buy and sell section of QRZ someone must have a puller
    I believe they were given with the Amp when new.
    Ted was a good friend I used to visit him when he was in Skyleur Ave. He used to stay with me
    here in the northwest part of Ireland when he was on trips to Europe we had daily skeds on 14mcs.
    He sold me a HRO 500 which I have in the shack.
    regards. EI3Y

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ted was probably referring to you in his quote from this article: http://www.oldqslcards.com/w2kuw.pdf

I never worked him on 20 meters since he lived 20 miles away. But, I did work him on 2 meters! He was plenty strong there.

I think my last dealing with Ted was probably in about 1974 or so. I was working in Engineering from Boonton Electronics and at an "employee auction" picked up some old and very "end of life" Boonton test equipment, including a very elaborate Q Meter they manufactured in the 1960s. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it likely wasn't much. I told Ted I had that and he wanted it very badly. I told him "Come on over and look at it" -- which he did, and he bought it from me (I think for about $500).

I suspect he had a "customer" all lined up for that at much higher price.:p But that's fine with me, he was a nice guy and a good ham.

3. EI3Y

My daughter lives in Lex,Ky while staying there a few years ago I was looking at Ebay and I saw someone
    was selling the .logbook of a Ham which had the last entry the day before Pearl Harbour.
    It was selling for very little I bought the book it had belonged to Ted W2KUW.
    Small world. I still have it.

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a very well made Eimac puller that will work on all those smaller tetrodes and triodes. The National one is a piece of bent and notched spring steel and it an easily cut into your fingers.

I can provide photos of both if it helps,

Carl

5. EI3Y

Hi Carl, I have 8 8122s none ever tested there are two matched pairs. at the moment my Ncl 2000 is being
    refurbished by myself. Give me a price for the Eimac puller.
    Glad to hear from you hope, you are keeping well. Thanks for all the dope on the Ncl 2000 you have given
    over the years I was one of the beneficiaries who profited from your knowledge, Thank you.
    Ian EI3Y.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I only have the one Eimac puller Ian and one National version remaining. Since every new NCL-2000 came with a puller there must be many survivors.

Carl

7. EI3Y

Hi Carl, Sorry not able to reply had a fault on my BB it took over two weeks for it to be found.
    You can contact me via my email which is on QRZ and I still would like to buy the puller.
    Ian EI3Y

8. EI3Y

I would appreciate photos of the pullers Carl, there is a friend of mine who has a machine shop
    who might be able to make up something which might help.
    Ian, EI3Y

9. EI3Y

Hi Carl, Forget about the photos, I bought a puller from a guy in Serbia who
    had it for sale on ebay he was using it to pull 4cx250s
    Dennis AF7XT saw our conversation on this forum and was kind enough to
    tell me about it.
    Many thanks for the help Carl now to get the NCL 2000 back up working.
    Ian,EI3Y.

10. N2OTG

N2OTG Ham Member QRZ Page

I took a look at the forum this evening and was surprised and delighted that this thread was still active, going on 3 years after I’d started it. I was amazed at the great commentary that was elicited by these old tubes!!

As for the NCL-2000 in question, it’s still in regular use. One of the 8122s still seems to go unstable(?) at the high plate voltage setting so the owner leaves the switch in the CW position and still gets adequate power for his purposes. He was not keen on parting with the cost of the tubes that were then available on RF Parts or on sending the amp out to be repaired by a real tech.

Thanks again everybody for your contributions. You do ham radio credit!