ad: M2Ant-1

Repeaters On Mt. Mitchell (NC) To Be Removed.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4FVV, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You got that straight. I figured there had to be more to it than the initial report. Lets just hope that the hams "letter writing" doesn't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

You'd best approach the situation with hat in hand, and head hung low.

Joe

2. KA9WBX

KA9WBX Ham Member QRZ Page

"The Forest Service owns the site."

Whitch is another way of saying the taxpayers, us.

Time to get the Forest Service involved. And maybe Congress.

Terry

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't work that way. But perhaps the hams could put in for their own site, but the FS doesn't have to approve it. The site owners (the broadcast station) can allow people to occupy their facilities, if they want. They can also charge what they want as rent.

It would be best to mend whatever fences they can and go from there. It might take a long time to get a new site established, best to fix this agreement in whatever manner they can.

Joe

4. W4DXL

W4DXL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The rest of the story...

Well now with the added information it all makes sense. When you are a guest at someone elses site it makes sense to get approval for anything you do well in advance and always leave the place in good condition.

I agree with whoever said .... approach WMIT with hat in hand, and head hung low. As a child might say, I promise to never ever do that again!

As for the Billy Graham foundation let's hope they have the capicity to forgive. Their action to remove the repeaters while understandable will hurt more people than just the responsible party.

Shame on me for not thinking there was more to the story than what we were told. In the past I have heard of repeaters being taken off towers for little or no reason. :eek:

5. KA9WBX

KA9WBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it does work that way.

Terry

6. N4MXZ

N4MXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No it does not. As a licensed broadcast station WMIT is wholly responsible for the facilities regardless of the lease/use agreement for the land.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  7. K0HWY

K0HWY Ham Member QRZ Page

While the Mt. Mitchell repeaters do have great coverage and are fun to use, the towers are a bit of an eyesore. Although it will never happen (money talks), I would like to see the forest service revoke all tower permits in the area and return the forest to its natural, undisturbed beauty; well, as best we can given all the trees we've killed.

8. K2JB

K2JB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mt. Mitchell Repeaters UPDATE

Discussions are proceeding with the parties to resolve this issues regarding the Mt. Mitchell repeaters.

We appreciate all the help and encouragement from those who have lent their assistance.

If everyone will be patient and 'QRT' on further communciations to Blue Ridge Broadcasting, Samaritan's Purse or other 3rd parties, it will be appreciated.

They have heard your concerns and asked our patience in working out a resolution.

We will have an update at the appropriate time.

Thank you,
    Dean Blair ~ k2jb
    WCARS

9. AJ4MJ

AJ4MJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Show some respect!

That's not a very nice thing to say about a man who let us (the ham radio community) operate a repeater for free from his facility over the last 27 years.

10. WM4T

WM4T Ham Member QRZ Page

145.190 repeater operation

There have been many posts about this subject and I agree with Dean, to let this work itself out. I have known Ken, wa4bvw very well for over thirty years and in contact with him long before and after this incident and it is working out for him for sure.
    As far as reference to the property, Ken had told me some time ago, this is private property, the Graham family aquired it a long time ago. As with many parts of the mountain top which are private properties in Yancy County, NC. The US forest Service has nothing to do with it nor does the NC state forestery which owns and operates the actual park and peak of Mount Mitchell.

All this is common knowledge that is easy to access. So, the repeater situation is being resolved, that also is a fact and it would be good if this thread ended. That would let Ken, wa4bvw have peace about this.

Sam, wm4t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.