Repeater information

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W1RDS, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
  1. W1RDS

W1RDS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking about making a repeater. Where can a person go or what sources are there to find out about repeaters and how to set them up?
    Thanks in advance
    Bob W1RDS
  2. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're in the Phoenix area, which it appears you are from your license address, I'd contact the frequency coordinator for the band you're thinking about: and find out what if any frequencies are actually available for a new repeater in your area.

They may have site suggestions as well, as repeaters around there would likely all be on mountaintops, where they can work.:eek:
  4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious, is there a similar URL for Colorado? I sub co for az but it didn't work.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  5. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

In some areas it can be almost impossible to get a 2 meter repeater, but where I first got my license, there are still only 4 local repeaters--and they are all linked!
  7. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Owning an amateur radio repeater is very similar to that of a small boat or small airplane owner. There are 2 VERY happy days in their life: The day it goes on the air and the day that they get rid of it!

The rest of the time the owner is inundated with complaints about the operation of the repeater. Some complain that the area covered is not enough, some complain that the area covered is too much! Others complain every time the repeater "burps". Still others complain about how someone else "operates" using the repeater. And, so forth. People will telephone at all hours of the day and night insisting that the "problem" be immediately eliminated! It doesn't matter if the repeater owner / operator has a "life" outside of amateur radio because the complaints never stop. Some days are better than others, but the vast majority of those who do establish an amateur radio repeater soon regret the establishment. In the "goode olde dayes", when repeater operation was really in its infancy, amateur radio operators worked together in establishing and operating a repeater and the vast majority of users were technically inclined. Unfortunately, these days, the vast majority of users basically have no real technical ability and compensate for this by complaining about virtually anything.

Those persons who complain the most are almost always the same persons who do not contribute to the operation of the repeater in any form, be it financial or technical.

Over the years, I have established both commercial two-way repeaters and amateur radio repeaters. By far, owning a commercial two-way repeater is a LOT less stressful! Commercial users accept the limitations of the repeater whereas amateur radio users constantly complain. Yet, commercial users are paying to use the repeater whereas amateur radio operators are, by far, just freeloaders!

Glen, K9STH
  8. W1RDS

I want to thank everyone for their input but maybe I didn't state my question well enough. I would like to know how to build one. What machines needed like receiver/transmitter, computer, etc? I know all about my area, this is for future use in a different area.

Thanks again
    Bob W1RDS
  9. WB2WIK

My offhand guess is if you need this question answered, then the likelihood of actually building a functioning repeater is fairly small. There's a lot to know.

Most who aren't in the professional 2-way radio field simply buy a functioning repeater (which includes the transmitter, receiver, controller/ID system, and sometimes also the power supply and duplexer) and once that's done, it's still a lot of work to get it on the air at a usable site, all connected and de-bugged for desense and noise, etc.

Integrated repeaters with "everything in one box" except for the duplexer and antenna are readily available, like this stuff:

For actually building a repeater from ground up (which nobody ever does, because surplus 2-way stuff is so available), is the most comprehensive site for all the needed information.
  10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

11. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

What Steve said.

You need to know the band you want to operate on, and how to obtain frequencies for coordination. Since you don't seem to know much right now, you need a local person experienced in repeaters to help out. Also, the repeater-builder website is full of info.

A new repeater without duplexer or antenna will set you back at least $1000. The duplexer may be another $200-$2000. And the antenna will be $100+. You might find a used repeater for a couple hundred bucks, but the duplexer will still be pricey. UHF is the least expensive band to get on, because you may be able to get by with a small mobile type duplexer that may only cost $50-100. But there is tuning to your frequency, and a lot of other technical stuff to do.

Attached Files:

12. W1RDS

Thank you all.

Bob W1RDS
  13. WB2WIK

I built my first repeater by modifying a Pye repeater (made in the U.K.) to the 2m ham band. Had to change a lot of stuff, and the transmitter used tubes (5894 final amp). But it worked.

Probably put 500 hours into that, to get it working properly, de-bugged, and de-noised.:p Might have been cheaper to buy a brand new commercial Motorola repeater, when I think about it...

When I had a split-site machine (2m) for a while, the RX location was better than the TX location so I built a 4X150A amp for the TX, so it could run about 200W output power. That was a great experience and it did help "level" the coverage since it was split-site. I'd never recommend anyone do that.
  14. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

I always had a soft spot for this SNL repeater

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.