ad: Tetsuo-1

Recycle that broken laptop LCD for your Pi

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by W9GB, Dec 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Walks you thought the steps ....

KD0WQP, N2EY, KD4MOJ and 3 others like this.
  2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that tip. I've got an old 17" 1680x1050 Samsung that I pulled out of an old HP laptop. I may just try that, my video card supports 2 VGA outputs. It would be cool to have some extra space like when I'm using WSPR or some program running sort of in the background.

3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Question, there is/was a board at the bottom of my LCD that I think is the inverter for the CCFL, which I take it is the backlight for the screen. I get a new inverter board with the kit that plugs into the controller? This is the kit I'm looking at that lists my LCD and is supposedly shipped from the US for $33. item 201542257701 My screen is a Samsung LTN170WP-L02. And I'll need a 4A 12V supply and a DVI cable? My video card has 2 DVI outputs, what is on the other end of the DVI cable that goes to the new controller or are they all the same?

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Another version, of the same idea.

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

After looking at things and studying the instructions a bit, I notice I need to be careful which card I get, some don't even do the native resolution of my samsung, and some do. Then it appears I need a DVI to DVI cable since that's what my video card has plus the converter. I only see cards from China that fit my bill. Some include the inverter and some don't. Don't know if my old inverter would work, but probably not with the new card.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  6. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I thought I got a board that would support my 17" 1680x1050, but I got a card that only puts out 1440x900. So it only fills about 3/4 of the screen. BUST. Although on his ebay ad he shows a 1680x1050. He's gone until Feb. It's an exercise in futility trying to figure out that menu button system. Ended up writing down the key strokes and finally got it into English somehow. I probably would have been off easier just to buy another monitor for $100.

7. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you seen the PiTop?

8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

This has nothing to do with Pi, but that guy that sold me the 1440 card gave me a refund without shipping it back, and I tried another one that cost $33 and that one works. I get full screen, now I need to mount it somehow.

9. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Rats! I got all excited thinking this would be about interfacing...