Recover Deleted QRZ Logbook

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by N2DRO, Nov 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2DRO

N2DRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there,

The other day I accidentally deleted my logbook while trying to delete something else.:eek: That logbook had almost 400 contacts gathered over many years.

I have to imagine that the System Operators would have a way of recovering my log from a system backup. I don't know how long they keep their backups, but it's been almost a week already.

I opened a new Support Request on 10/27 and have heard nothing from them. This seems very unusual, as other times they have answered me as soon as the same day!

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears, err eyes!

Thanks in advance,:)

Alan - N2DRO

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

OH NO!!! :eek: I truly hope someone in Management chimes in with good news...

Dave
    W7UUU

3. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In that QRZ is not an archive site, it is important to regularly export an ADIF backup file. This feature is available to subscribers at the XML and higher level.
    See SETTINGS then Import/Export.

4. N2DRO

"QRZ is not an archive site" What's that supposed to mean? Your system operators don't do regular backups?

In all the years I've been using the QRZ logbook, not once have I ever see an type of notification that I am responsible for backing up my own log files. Not even a "Helpful Tip".

I'll tell you what. I'll send you another hundred-dollar donation, if you recover my logbook. That's much better than the alternative.

How 'bout it?

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

How did you accidentally delete your entire logbook? Want to make sure I don't do that. :eek:

6. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Contact Headquarters at https://ssl.qrz.com/support

7. N2DRO

Been there. Done that... Over a week ago, and still waiting for an answer.

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak for QRZ.com but server backups are typically for something happening at the server level. For databases, they tend to be an all or nothing thing. If the whole database is destroyed or corrupted then I assume they could restore it to a few hours ago or yesterday or whatever.

Restoring just your logbook is probably possible but would involve some (maybe considerable) time and effort. They would need to restore a previous backup of the whole database to a temporary area and then pick out just your data and copy across to the current database.

That said, I haven't used the logbook but it seems that some sort of "soft delete" would be a useful feature. That's where things are not immediately deleted but just flagged as deleted and recoverable from a "trashcan" type area. That's a pretty common feature for database applications (e.g. Gmail etc). I assume the QRZ.com logbook doesn't have that.

You never know. That might work. It will probably work at some point if you keep increasing the number.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. N2DRO

I have to say... I'm really beginning to get a bit ticked-off at the Support Center. It's been over a week, now, with no reply.
    I'd like to know what the devil is going on over there. I don't recall ever waiting more than a day for someone to answer.

10. W1DQ

To delete a logbook takes two steps including the following warning:

Delete-Warning.jpg