ad: Radclub22-1

Record number of candidates for Radio Amateur Exam

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes they are, but they still exist. Let us not forget that "Legal Limit" isn't the same in every country or operator class. Not long ago I had a telephone conversation with a Ham in Malta. He was running 1200w but told me 400w is the limit in his country. So there ya go...

That being said...
    If you think that guy with they Henry 8K, bought it just to run 1500w with "plenty of headroom", you are only fooling yourself. Also what does anyone need with an amp with a 3cx-15,000 in it? (recently one was sold on e-bay)... Of course there are unscrupulous contesters and dxers out there that just have to be first in the pileup or first place year after year. Yes I know some of them, and they are not people that I associate with. My philosophy is... The only person that I compete with is myself and I do just fine with my Yaesu Quadra amp and its 1000w, but you do what ever you like with your station. Actually I like it that the BIG GUNS get in and get out quickly so I can work the same station with my 1KW when they have gone.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. N4MIT

South East Asia is my weak area... But I am antenna challenged with just a 43ft vertical. I'm surprised with what I have worked with it.

3. N4MIT

Scott, the short answer is yes. I know some Multi-Multi contest stations that run 2kw or more... I know at least one ham in the southern US that has a Henry 8K and runs it full tilt from time to time. I've known several hams with LK-800 TNY amps running 3000w. I can't say "What Contests" this applies to but I would imagine that if a person is willing to forget the rules for one contest then it's fair to say that they would do so for all.

4. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you know they're running "OVER-LIMIT" then also what are their CALL SIGNS??? Really 1.5kw DC output is ENOUGH for anybody!!! RIGHT???

5. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly, that is what I was getting at. They should be reported, it's the right thing to do.

6. PU2OLT

PU2OLT Ham Member QRZ Page

;) Minha temporada eu trabalho com 15wats, no meu apartamento no 11 º andar.
    Oliveira PU2OLT
    São Paulo - SP Brasil
    Blog: http://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com

7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I work with several South Africans. I promise you, they are learning Ham for communications, now that the country is going 3rd world.

South Africa is in dire straights --barely keeping the lights on, at times. Rolling blackouts. Fears of water service stopping, racial issues and parties calling for genocide, etc.

8. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to see what has happened to South Africa. The world is changing and not for the better, I fear.

KE0EYJ likes this.