Recommendations for a dipole? ...

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K9ROC, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K9ROC

K9ROC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just working on putting together my first shack as a new General holder.

I've gotten my hands on an Alinco DX-70TH. I ordered a proper power supply and an MFJ automatic antenna tuner.

My elmer recommended that I start with the 10-40m bands. I think I want a dipole to get started. I'm not ready to build anything myself yet.

What affordable dipole antennas would you guys recommend for 10-40m?

Thanks very much in advance,
    Chris

2. W2TAC

W2TAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest the Alpha Delta dipoles. I have the 80m and 40m and the construction is heavy duty and excellent. 73, Bob - W2TAC

3. W2TAC

W2TAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I should have added. I purchased mine from R&L Electronics -- www.randl.com. Was significantly cheaper and the service was excellent. Bob - W2TAC

4. K9ROC

I'll take a look, thanks very much, Bob.

5. K9ROC

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope the MFJ automatic tuner can handle that. Many automatic tuners can't handle the wild impedance excursions of a G5RV on 30m, 17m, 15m and 10m. It should handle it fine on 80m, 40m, 20m and 12m.

The Alpha-Delta DX-CC antenna works 80-40-20-15-10m even without a tuner, that's the advantage of the superior design.

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

I would NOT have selected that G5RV antenna, newcomers are often steered to that solution, based on price (cheap).

The Alpha DX-CC is a better choice for Plug-N-Play buyers.
    A nice dipole antenna can be DIY Built for that price or less with Home Depot materials.

8. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, if "cheap" is the priority, then you can't beat salvaged wire, scrap plastic insulators, and reclaimed TV twin lead. Not to mention, that ultra-low cost yields an antenna that would likely be easier to work with - and probably outperform - a G5RV. Too bad someone didn't reply earlier to bump Christopher's confidence level up a notch or two. It only takes a little nudge to overcome "I'm not ready to build anything myself yet." The proof is thousands of teens who've successfully done it with no prior experience and less than two quarters to rub together in their pocket.

9. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did we meet in 1973 ??

10. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes if I would have recommended building your own too. I have build 3 dipoles and 2 delta loops in the last 18 months, and strung up a W3EDP and its all been fun and educational.

11. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

12. WB2WIK

Do the signals all sound wobbly, like they're from 80 year-old operators?:eek:

13. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, but everything has a strong accent!

p.s. On the practical side, I recommend making your dipole long, and very thin! Good luck! bill.

14. KJ4JGN

KJ4JGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Buckmaster 7 band OS dipole, no tuner needed, mine worked great, and also my W8AMZ dipole was great with a tuner all band, and I have them both for sale as im moving to a HOA, hate that!

15. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like this antenna enough I may buy one! This would be a great Field Day antenna.

16. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

17. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Alpha-Delta should work well. A dipole cut for a halfwave for your lowest desired band and fed with ladder line will work as well or better and be cheaper. It will also be lighter, and therefore it may be easier to erect and keep up.

Welcome to HF radio. Just get SOMETHING up, get on the air. and have fun!

18. WB2WIK

Problem is, unless you tune the 450 Ohm ladder line (using different lengths for different bands) an auto-tuner, which is what he has, may not match it. Under some condx, VSWR can be close to infinity. A very good wide-range manual tuner can usually handle it.

Also, "performance" won't be equal to the model DX-CC on any band other than the fundamental resonant one, because when the dipole becomes >1WL long it develops multiple lobes and multiple deep nulls, and it's very difficult to work anybody in one of the nulls. The old "I can work everything I can hear" phrase definitely applies, because you won't hear anybody in a 30 dB deep null.:eek:

But it's true, any kind of antenna is a lot better than no antenna, and there's always contacts to be made on HF.

The biggest eye opener on the higher bands is when going from dipoles, verticals etc. to a beam. The difference can be so staggering it's almost unbelievable.

19. KA1NOS

KA1NOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Slow down, you're moving too fast...

Chris,

I would strongly recommend that you start with a 40-meter dipole. Sticking to one band for awhile will eliminate variables that you're not ready to cope with. Think about where you're at right now...you're trying to learn to operate the radio, tune the antenna, wondering if you're on the correct band for conditions, etc. Too many variables! If you have problems, and you will, you will have a very difficult time trying to find the answers.

You need to start out simple. First step: radio and antenna. When you're very comfortable with that, 2nd step: add the tuner. You have just added another band, 15-meters, to your capabilities. (Your antenna may work on 15 without the tuner, but don't try it until you're ready to add the tuner.)

When you become a master of your setup on 40 and 15 then, and only then, you can start messing with multi-band antennas.

This entire process may take weeks, it may take months. But take the time. It will be time well-spent. (You can thank me later. :))

Congratulations on the new ticket. Look forward to hearing you on the air.

Regards,
    -Bruce
    WE4AU

20. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For a manufactured antenna the Alpha Delta DX-CC is fairly good. If you installed it according to the instructions then it's just about plug-n-play. Home made antennas are easy, cheap and fun, unless you make the antenna I have. Having an antenna with multi-band capability will give you more to explore and on HF there's a lot to explore. There are also verticals that have multi-band but they can be a pain and require a good radial field for best performance. I'm surprised the followers of the OCFD haven't chimed in. This is another multi-band antenna.
    Just about everybody is going to tell you their antenna is the best and you should get one. A lot of these folks have not done a A/B comparison so they really don't have a clue what they are missing. Like the G5RV you already ordered. You undoubtedly read the glowing reports from the reviewers that say this antenna has worked a bunch of DX, talked all around the country, bounced signals of the moon and other such statements. What you're supposed to do is lookup the reviews from people that really know what works and what doesn't. These are the ones that will give the rating less than a perfect 5 and explain why it wasn't the best. The review to avoid is the one where they say "I saw one in the local ham radio store and it looked like junk, so I gave it a 1". There was no practical experience with that person on that antenna.
    BTW working DX and other places can sometimes be done with some really lousy antennas. The conditions at that time determined what will or will not work. There have been times when some have worked the other side of the world with a piece of wire laying on the ground. Sometimes it doesn't take much.
    Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.