Receiving Equipment

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by K9STH, Nov 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a WRR-3 back in the 80's when I had a DC to Daylight -- 6 KHz to 1,000 MHz monitoring shack.

If you can find them today, the rig goes down to 6 KHz and up to 600 KHz. For VLF/LF, it's a reasonably "modern" superhet with counter-type readout and miniature tubes.

The WRR-3A is a completely enclosed set. To service the electronics, you remove the chassis from the cabinet and, unless you have the extender cord, you have to remove the feed-through blister from the back of the cabinet to connect power and your signal source.

The tuning mechanism for the rig has a mix of plastic and metal gears which mesh. The problem: the meta;l gears chew-up the plastic ones and you have to replace the entire readout and gearbox. NOT a stellar piece of American engineering
  2. NO3M

NO3M Ham Member QRZ Page

The lower two signals are JT-9. The other signals near your marker are WSPR. (Most audio-generated digital modes use same dial frequency of 474.2 USB)

Most of us run CW at or below 474.5

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not listened to 630M in a few days, but will go back tonight.
    Some T-storms down south have been tearing up 160 and 80m the last few nights.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi John, I had the chance to use the CALF liniter Saturday night with the T-storm noise on 80. I had the TS830 without the filter and the R7 with the CALF. The difference was simply amazing! What was a sharp loud Crash on the TS was only a Puff using this CALF from KC9ON. Easy to copy Morse during a storm with a moderate S7 signal to work with. Greatest audio add-on accessory I have ever spent money for.
    I couldn't do with out one now. I know limiters are easy to build but there's something better about this circuit.
    Sorry to advertise but I figured guys would be interested in my results.

Learn Morse
    Do CW
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018 at 11:29 PM