Receiving 12 GHz Ku band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC9SGV, Aug 23, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

This 5 and dime sat has been teased for years. Its become the Bigfoot/Sasquatch of amateur radio. It would sure be great, but I am starting to think this will never happen

VA7UO likes this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nobody said they are built. The concept is to have a satellite pre-built, ready to launch. The satellite mission and configuration would be pre-authorized with the launching entity and await short notice opportunity.

p.s. Join AMSAT and read the latest details on programs in the quarterly newsletter.

W5PFG likes this.
  3. KA0HCP

If you were staying informed, you would know that different projects incorporating the 5&10 have come and unfortunately gone, particularly the Phase4B.

Present intention is to provide incremental SHF capability in the Golf-Tee and Golf-1 satellites. 10Gig telemetry downlink on Golf-Tee and proposed 5&10 transponder on Golf-1.

4. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I knew that. Jeez. Harsh much?

I was all ready on building up the 5/10 one only after years of delays to have it abandoned. May very well happen again, maybe intentionally or by launch failure, or evenequipment issue.

But even these new ones are only promised future capabilities, and they may also change at a whim of a developer, as worse yet--not work at all as have other satellites. A few just never effectively turned on and those projects too were abandoned.

But a pile of equipment rushed together to be first on the band may end up living in a box.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    VA7UO likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

Perhaps. I did tone it down. One of the continuous themes in this satellite forum are posts by people who contribute nothing to AMSAT-NA, thereby not reading the news in AMSAT Journal, think they know everything, and make outrageous and inappropriate demands.

I apologize if my frustration burned through.

The specific answer to your question is on Page 6 of the July/August 2019 edition of AMSAT-NA Journal. Those that are members would know exactly what is going on with this project.

The 5&10 radios aren't some mythical concept or a paper project intended to motivate amateurs by deception. The system progress is being yanked around by the status of various satellite projects. The last 20 years have been one of constant change for AMSAT-NA, chasing elusive and cancelled launch opportunities and legal restriction by ITAR laws. The good news is that the AMSAT-NA president in his column discusses a path forward for ITAR relief due to recent international treaties, Page 5.

The present plan is to incrementally introduce 5&10 in the Golf series satellites. However, "Stand-by to stand-by" there will no doubt be changes. Very 73, Bill.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    K3RW likes this.
  6. KC9SGV

KC9SGV Ham Member QRZ Page

So back to the topic...

Still struggling to receive 12 GHz FTA with my current setup.
    Getting closer...
    MER of 4db DVB-S.
    Need to see at least 8db from what I read.
    Dish pointing at 97 deg west.
    Learning a whole new facet of radio...
    Easy to apply to 10 GHz later.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

KC9SGV

7. KC9SGV

Striving for this...
    Maybe a bigger dish and/or LNA between the LNB and the receiver.
    The problem with FTA as a test signal, is all the variables that can mess you up.
    Dish alignment, frequency, LNB offset, I.F., SR, FEC, VPID and APID.
    Wish there was somebody in Chicago beaming a DATV signal at me in the 10 GHz band.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    KA0HCP likes this.
  8. KC9SGV

image.jpeg Solder tabs bridged, as described in the User Manual.
    Now, the bias tee is no longer needed.
    12/18V DC goes direct to the LNB for polarity switching.

9. KC9SGV

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  10. KC9SGV

This little critter receives to -95 db sensitivity.
    DVB-S, DVB-S2 and DVB-S2X capable.
    German design and built....
    Received the beacons on Echostar 9 using CrazyScan.
    Need more C/N out of the dish for video.
    So, a bigger dish than my 18 inch old Direct TV dish with an Octagon 3 Green LNB, or an in line LNA is image.jpeg required.
    The CW key is only used on HF, of course, but proves that the old skills can live alongside new acquired skills, like receiving FTA TV from a GEO satellite.

image.jpeg

KA2CZU likes this.