Receiving 12 GHz Ku band

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC9SGV, Aug 23, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Has someone published the groundstation specifications for amateur radio operators to uplink in the amateur satellite service? I haven't seen it yet. Waiting patiently.

Months, eh? It's always excited to see dreams become reality. I'm looking forward to seeing a new and innovative amateur radio link between earth and satellite. You know - an OSCAR.

How many months? Have you seen a published time line? Any contracts being signed or negotiated? Where's the press release?

I'm hoping to see much more transparency on this great endeavor. Secrets are bad, so I've seen posted elsewhere. The amateur radio satellite community deserves better. Keep us posted!

KE8AKW likes this.
  2. KC9SGV

KC9SGV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have an SDR or FTA receiver solution for 12 GHz...

The beacons apparently are at 11,705.5 or 12,198.0 MHz
    The Sat is at 121 deg west.
    I am still scrambling to build my own receiver.

KC9SGV

3. KC9SGV

I know.
    The devil is the details, always.
    But Michelle, W5NYV's announcement on the AMSAT-NA BB board is enough for me to entice me to start building immediately.
    Don't want to be that frustrated guy without a receiver, when everybody else are playing away at their heart's content.
    This happened to quite a few senior European LEO satellite guys under the then brand new QO-100 footprint.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  4. KC9SGV

5. W5PFG

Always.

Right now all I've read about is renting bandwidth from a commercial satellite that does not use the amateur satellite service.

Many people are interested in listening to signals from space that are not licensed amateur radio operators. Many hams aren't into two-way QSO's yet enjoy telemetry. We all have preferences.

I've not seen any exciting news regarding an amateur radio satellite with a 12 GHz downlink at this time.

KE8AKW likes this.
  6. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Which means no one here will be operating their own uplink.

K3RW and KE8AKW like this.
  7. KC9SGV

Yep, until we have a rideshare opportunity to launch already built 6U GEO cubesat(s) with a 5 and dime up and downlink.
    Hang in there.
    Michelle (of Phase 4 Ground/ ORI fame), is on a camping vacation off the grid.
    More details when she comes back.

https://amsat.org/pipermail/amsat-bb/2019-August/074583.html

I am building a 12 GHz receiver.
    Are you ?

Bernard,
    KC9SGV

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  8. KC9SGV

9. W5PFG

Where are these already built 6U GEO cubesats?

Excited to hear more!

N8HM likes this.
  10. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same. I'd love to hear about these completed 6U GEO cubesats!