ad: rfparts

receiver purchase

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KC8CTC, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KC8CTC

KC8CTC Subscriber QRZ Page

Wanting to purchase dedicated receiver...probably general coverage..thinking of icom r-75 or r71...1.8-30 MHZ or 1.8-60 mhz...anyone using one of these and have recommendation for SWL radio ... open to any brand but want to get desktop model..

Terry kc8ctc
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always liked the looks of the Yaesu FRG-100.
    I would tend to stick to Yaesu, Kenwood or Icom.
    With some of these older receivers it may somewhat depend on what you run across at a decent price.
    Here are a bunch receivers to look through. Some are more recent and some are boatanchors.Some are ham receivers and some SWL.
  3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Drake R8B for SWBC listening, general SSB use.

Icom IC-R71A for data/CW use.

If you have the money, AOR's AR-Alpha or Icom's R-9500 get the nod.

With the possible exception of the NRD525/535/545 and the R75 if price point is an issue I really wouldn't consider any other non commercial grade HF receiver.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My take is completely different, just because.

For general SWLing including amateur and broadcast and all between, if it's for "home station" use and doesn't have to go portable, I like the old heavy iron receivers, like an HQ-180A, NC-183D, or even 51J-4, maybe an even older SX-28. These are large, heavy and old. But they're such fun to use. The 51J-4 is stable enough for even digital work (the others may not be), but if I want to hear the way "AM" is supposed to sound, these old analog turkeys sound magnificent. The NC-183D with its higher-powered push-pull AF output stage can drive theater-sized speakers and fill a large room with a great sound.

They're also easy to work on (well, sort of) and can likely be repaired forever, since no exotic nor proprietary components are used (except for the 51J-4, which is pretty sophisticated and uses a sealed PTO -- those almost never go bad).

I love old "heavy iron" receivers!
  5. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had several 71s and while they're a nice rig they are outperformed by the 75 in many ways. And if it was me I would just spend about the same cash on a 718 wich is basicaly a 75 that transmits as well. I can't justify spending that much on something that doesn't tx too.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm old school.

I have an S-108 for General Coverage receive, and one of these days, I'm hoping to get my hands on another SX-110.

Nothing quite sounds like those old Hallicrafters do!
  7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

In the world of boatanchors, I would like to have an NC-183(D) an SX-25 Super Defiant or an SX-71.
    Not necessarily in that order. If I saw a nice one at a good price it would be tough to pass one up.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom R71E here - bought off eBay from a Chinese seller - GREAT receiver for what it is and the price and all.

No regrets.

9. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A little pricey but one of the very best rated receivers happens to be wrapped in a QRP rig the Elecraft KX3 $899 kit $999 factory built for base model and for a receiver that is about all you need. You can check it all out @ for receiver specs check the Sherwood list it has everything on it.

One of the best things about it is that it is an SDR and updates are a something that can be counted on from Elecraft. Lots of them for all their radios always improving them. As far as receivers prices go it less than some more than others.
  10. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an R-75. Connected to my IC-735 by a monaural cable, it adds a few features, like direct entry frequency keypad and a CW-R mode.
  11. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Softrock RX Enssemble works pretty well, too.

Not really "desktop" but you could put it in an enclosure. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.