Receive interference Jeep Jk

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KN4BMK, Sep 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4BMK

KN4BMK Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a 2016 so all the RFI. Im going to apply all/most that K0BG suggested. Ill post back if and what seemed to do the most good.

2. KN4BMK

KN4BMK Ham Member QRZ Page

So after some time, and multiple changes..... im just about to give up.... I've tried different types and styles of Coax, ive used different filters both Mixture 31 and Mixture 43. I've used 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, and full wave antenna's. I have moved the antenna's all over the jeep using both lip and mag mounts as well as both NMO and pl-259. I've taken a steel plate and mounted the mag on the rear section of the soft-top on top getting the antenna above the jeep. I have tried ground straps and other oddball suggestions.... I can go from ok/usable receive, to flat out missing every other word. Good news this is teaching me alot about communications or at least on the RFI end for UHF/VHF if only i could get a win as well :) i hope if anyone else is having issues yall have better luck then i have.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  3. KM4DK

KM4DK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2016 Wrangler and started having RF noise problems on my Kenwood hand held with a mag mounted external antenna after installing a Superchips TrailCal device. If I unplug the TrailCal from the OBD2 port the interference stops, apparently the TrailCal is the source of RF noise. I like using the Superchips device so I removed the magnetic antenna from the HT and use a quality antenna on the radio. Maybe I could use a filter on the TrailCal OBD2 cable to solve the RF noise problem, while still using the external antenna.

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Aside from ignition RFI, the major cause are the B-CANs (body-chassis local area networks). While common mode chokes, bonding, proper DC wiring, and proper antenna mounting all help, you will never be able to quell the RFI from the B-CANs, Period!

Oh. All DC filters do is reduce the voltage adding insult to injury.

5. KJ7CGY

KJ7CGY Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope I dont run into the same issues as I just bought a new jeep jl and it is a honeycomb of electronics

6. WB6TIX

WB6TIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a huge noise problem in a 2016 Cherokee that turned out to be caused a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" plug to USB charger.

Once that was fixed (using a 5lb engineers hammer) , the noise floor in/around the Cherokee is not too terrible on 10, 6 or 2 meters, or 450MHz.

7. KF5BCX

KF5BCX Ham Member QRZ Page

KN4BMK, Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a 2008 JK (see QRZ page) and I followed K0BG's recommendations, primarily for HF purposes, chokes, matching coil, etc. I bonded everything that could possibly be needed. Muffler/pipe, doors, hood, tailgate, etc. Including an extra strap from the hood to the firewall and down to the lower part of the engine block. You can see the Comet V/UHF antenna on the right side of the tailgate. I installed a bonding strap from under the antenna mount inside screws to the body side. I ran the coax through the vent behind the spare tire, and then once inside, on to the end of the tailgate to join the bonding/grounding strap across to the body. Zero issues. The power is run through the firewall to the battery, with fuses on both positive and negative and the negative to a closeby grounding stud under the hood inside of the passenger fender. Have you tested your antenna and short cable run with an analyzer? I trimmed that Comet a bit to get good SWR. The only issue I have once in a while is with HF and a bit of ignition noise very faint, removed with the NB on with the Kenwood Ts-480HX. Your V/UHF is a puzzle, but start with the antenna being well-grounded and bonded to the body and work back. The transceiver housing should also be grounded/bonded, typically by the mount to the body or an additional strap. Don't give up. My "Radio Jeep" was recently critical to a deployment for the aftermath of Hurricane Michael, getting to places and people not possible in other vehicles. Plus mobiling, even if stationary, is fun and challenging. Good luck!

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a 2014 Wrangler, and ran into the same problems.... and tried a number of solutions, aka: all of the above. What finally got me into a really good operable set-up was isolating the radio from the car's electrical system by installing a small gel-cell battery with a switching system so the battery charges up while I'm not operating, but is disconnected from the car while operating. That was the final tweak that worked.

N1FMV, KD0XL and KE5PPH like this.
  9. KC9BUH

KC9BUH Ham Member QRZ Page

now i'll throw a loop.
    i have a 2015 jeep cherokee.
    same kind of problem
    placed a 5/8 2 mtr whip on it
    problem gone

10. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When you isolate a transceiver from a vehicle's electrical system, and this change eliminated an RFI issue, then something else in the installation was amiss. Typically, a ground loop, which directly relates to a power wiring issue.

KK4NSF likes this.