receive antennas only

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB9MZ, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Carl. I'm wondering if you would have seen the same results if your ground was different. I seem to recall that the ground at your QTH could almost be called an insulator. :)

Not really knowing what I was doing, I played with different grounds under a Beverage in EZNEC just now. There was a significant decrease in loss (or, depending on how you look at it, an increase in gain) by lowering the ground conductivity.

And of course, QRP works sometimes, too.

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The old QTH was 1-2' of mud over what could be best described as bottomless fresh water beach sand for that particular beverage. Here it is 1' or so of woodland soil over another foot of bony soil/gravel/some clay, and then solid rock. I consider both locations pretty much insulators.

Beverages are very poor performers over salt marshes as there is no wave tilt and it gradually improves the poorer the ground conductivity.

Carl

3. W0BTU

Well, you talked me into it. :)

I wound this transformer this evening. We'll see if it takes 100 watts on SSB.

Attached Files:

4. W0BTU

Darned if I haven't made some contacts on it! :) So far, I've only tried 20 meters.
    I still don't have another antenna to compare it to.

I don't know why this is so much fun, but it is. If you lived closer, Carl, I'd bring you over a six-pack of your favorite beer!

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I quit drinking 10 years ago, it was spoling my figure:rolleyes:

I can see it now, Beverage WAS:D

Carl

6. W0BTU

I was actually thinking the same thing! :)

I made about 50 contacts on it yesterday before and during the contest. It was great fun. It works pretty fair on 20. Less so on 40, even less so on 80, and it's practically worthless on 160. I could add radials and see how much 160 improves, but I'm not really interested in doing that.

The decline in performance with decreasing frequency could be attributed to at least four things, but I'll bet that what kills 160 the most is that it's made from magnetic wire. That's being discussed in this thread.

7. KD0NZL

KD0NZL Ham Member QRZ Page

i love reading through threads such as this. i have to admit, antenna fascinate me but confuse the bejeezus out of me at the same time. i'm trying to understand them more, in the meantime, i shall keep reading about them and running through threads like this. thanks to all who have posted, you are all contributing to my knowledge if you want to or not ;)

8. W0BTU

What is even more fun than reading is actually doing. I've been playing on HF with this thing tonight, and am now running the SB-200 amplifier into the Beverage. So far, no smoke from the new transformer. :)

Pretty soon, this will get old, and I'll put the Beverage antennas back to the way they were (receive-only). But after years of reading that "it's impossible to put out a signal on a Beverage that anyone can hear", I'm presently having a lot of fun.

Finally, I understand why people enjoy running QRP. :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you know why Im a big doubter of those who never actually build and try something but feel an obsessive uncontrolable urge to publish that it wont work because someone else told them, or even worse their software did their thinking.

I wasnt supposed to bust 160M DXpedition pileups either with an inverted vee apex at 50' and ends at 3'. I should have been born in Missouri:D, you have the right genes there Mike:cool:

And somehow I still hold the US record for overland tropo on 432 just based on a gut feeling during a December blizzard and decided to turn the radios on.

10. W0BTU

I've heard of wintertime VHF and UHF openings in relatively calm high-pressure-zone weather conditions. Usually when the day was warmer, but the temperature dropped dramatically. N8BRA once told me of an 2 meter opening when it was -20 F and relatively calm.

But never with the wind blowing. I always thought the wind (being a blizzard, I assume the wind was blowing) disturbed the transition (where the high and low temp air masses meet) too much. That transition zone is where the signal is refracted back to earth.

How common is this? And how do you account for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.