receive antennas only

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB9MZ, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are replying to me, I was not trying to be funny. Slinky Beverages are used on the Top Band all the time. That's all I could think of from your description. But I would like to hear what you meant.

2. KB9MZ

KB9MZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't imagine a slinky in less than a foot cube box being able to get on top band!
    I align antennas with solenoids such as a high density thin pancake or Bitter type solenoids with an air
    core. which are arrays that can be placed in equilibrium.( closed circuit) Unlike some I would not measure the resistance
    during manufacture as I would not know what frequency to set it up for. I measure number of turn per "unit" length. As Tom pointed out a week or so back,
    you can make a radiator with just "sheets of conductive metal". I see the same with transformer or Bitter solenoids stacks where eddy currents are placed under control.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, let's make a schedule to work on the air and see what happens! It would be interesting to compare your signal with others from that area, and then we'll all be able to gauge effectiveness. There's nothing quite like an on-the-air test under real world conditions.

4. KB9MZ

I have no interest in teaching the physics of antennas. Most people are just interested in the results from a poll, explanations not being a requirement
    You and I have nothing in common. If I was given help in writing a paper all would know by now what my experiments showed. But then YOU placed a wrench in that approach and now all is a mystery and nobody wins. You can't miss what you never had.

5. W0BTU

6. KB9MZ

Mike
    I read the comments on slinky and loaded antennas where loaded or lumped loads,
    in my opinion, are clearly in violation of Maxwells equation on radiation. But i do not believe
    that was your intention in referring to that article. Was there a particular reason you supplied that?

7. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well back on subject of receive antennas have been exploring them for some time one failed attempt at a beverage not well thought out I might add. Then started looking at better designed beverages and with help from this board and reading emails about materials and designs of other types helped me a lot.

I finally decided on a commercial antenna setup designed by a member and one who posts here that impresses me it is the short vertical array. I was very impressed with the receive of a recent DXpedition who had very good ears and they were using it also.

Thanks to all who take the time to post and share with the unwashed such as I.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, maybe you should talk to John Belrose or the Canadian government about that. They used a small Beverage array to establish a link from VE7 to New Zealand that was more reliable than other "acceptable" antennas. Ive worked over 3000 miles with 100W on Beverages just to say I could do it.

Carl

9. W0BTU

Was that with Misek's design, with the wire on the ground under the Beverages?

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Misek is a laugh. At the old QTH it is was over a fresh water and mostly mud tiny creek with a deep sandy bottom...pretty much no ground. Up here on the rock pile it worked the same. Signal reports werent king of the hill quality but they were otherwise fine to handle a rag chew. Maybe the six 135' radials I used in front back then helped....dunno.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.