receive antennas only

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB9MZ, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WV6U

WV6U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I finished my RX loop antenna made with 3/8" soft copper tubing, about 3' in diameter and resonated with a air variable capacitor. On 20m and 15m, it is much quieter than my half wave dipoles. Sometimes, the difference in noise is so big that
    noise on the dipole makes it impossible to copy a signal. For example, yesterday, i could hear Mogadishu on 20m. That said, a dipole on apartment deck's ceiling is probably not a good benchmark :)

2. K3ROJ

K3ROJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the 43 foot verticals makes an ideal second antenna just for receiving. It is noisier than a horizontal wire but with a good transceiver such as the Flex 5000A, the noise can be completly eliminated. I use dual diversity reception which the 5000A easily handles since it has 2 receivers. When not using headphones, I sit between the 2 speakers and can hear the sending stations fade in and out on the other side. Full break-in (QSK) is also possible by using clamping diodes on the 43 foot vertical which is only 60 feet away from the transmit antenna, a Cushcraft R8 vertical. Of course a beverage antenna would perfom better but do not have the room. Without the 5000A, I could have never worked WAS five times and thousands of DX contacts just in the past couple of years. I do have a microphone but CW is the only mode that allows fast contacts during contests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.