Rebuilding an SB-220 (for KJP)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W1QJ, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Look, its obvious KJP is not going to be convinced by anything or anyone. He has his mind made up and stands by his beliefs. It's like beating a dead horse. Personally I am no lawyer or judge. I suppose I am as stubborn as he is thinking that my email exchange with the official at the Dallas office is sufficient grounds to support my belief. The beauty of this country is we have a right to our own opinion. The problem arises when certain people are singled out as not being "law abiding" and "rip offs". The 2 major diatribes on the other board Dick linked us to specifically mentioned MY NAME and others in both. If you would like to rant about the issues, fine, but please do not inject my name personally. I don't take a liking to be called a "rip off" and not "law abiding". Rant all you want in generalities but PLEASE leave my name out of it. I am really getting sick of it all.

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have read the rules. Have you?? You seem to understand (mostly) written English. So here you go:

So it says essentially that any amplifier sold must be certificated for use in the amateur service. That would be paragraph "a" above. Can you read it??

Now, right beneath paragraph "a" is paragraph "b." It says:

Now, "one or more of the following conditions" includes:

Part 97 of the Federal Regulations that control amateur radio and the sale of amateur products SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES the sale of amplifiers from hams to other hams from the requirement of certification. It's right there in black and white and RED for anyone to read. Certification is required by commercial vendors in order to market their products. It is NOT required for hams to sell modified amps to other hams. Indeed, I can build from scratch an amplifier and sell as many homebrewed amps to other hams as I want. AS MANY AS I WANT! NO CERTIFICATION is required when the sale involves a HAM selling to another HAM.

If you disagree, then please point us to the law that says otherwise. I certainly can't find it, but I patiently await your quote of the current law that says otherwise.

................Bob

3. KE3WD

KE3WD Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently what constituted one calender year was also open to discussion as well...

4. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

My pleasure! I am greatful you were able to help me out and you did a fantastic job with the meter. It's working great. I would do the same for you if the roles were reversed.

In my opinion, Lou is definitely not out there to "rip off" other hams. He comes well recommended by myself and others who he has helped over the years. As I said before, I feel he is an asset to the hobby. Thanks again Lou!

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to see large companies throwing good money after bad.
    And it is going to take a lot of it.

Thank you for letting the cat out of the bag, because as soon as this becomes public I will lead the boycott against those companies who sign on to this and don't offer the same service at the same prices as one HAM who dies this in his spare time and at his home.

And if I have to I will donate money to that one ham's legal defense if it should become necessary.

6. AF6LJ

He isn't manufacturing anything.
    Modification, repair restoration are different from manufacturing.

Look at it from another point of view. How does the FCC or anybody else know how an uncertified amplifier works. I can design a PI Network that could tune from 25 to 75 mhz from front panel controls in 20 minutes. CBers would love to have an amp like that.[/QUOTE]
    I think you might run into some design limitations 25-50 MHZ yes you could, 25-75 MHZ my money is on no..
    With that said I and maybe others would like to know what it is you do for a living, Me I am a retired RF tech, did it for 21 years before the hand of fate said it was time to quit.
    I'll come straight out and ask, what dog to you have in this fight, None of the manufacturers offer such a service and none of them build an amplifier with 3-500Zs that works on six.

So I repeat what dog do you have in this fight or as I am led to believe from other forums you just like a good fight?

I want to know the answers to those questions before I place you on ignore and boycott all your posts.

7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The first amplifier I ever had was a homebrewed 811A job . . . it was not certified and to this day, certification of homebrewed ham rigs is not required when selling that rig from one ham to another. You can find many of these amps at hamfests and it is perfectly legal to buy/sell them.

You appear to be confusing the purpose of "certification." In order for a "non-amateur service licensee" to MARKET AND SELL an amplifier, they are required to obtain FCC certification. One can MARKET the rig without certification, but one cannot SELL it. We see this all the time with adds for equipment that is not yet for sale, pending certification. There are numerous laws the primarily regulate the MARKETING of a product (and thus the sale for the most part) but don't primarily regulate the SALE of that product.

For companies like Icom and Kenwood who primarily sell products based on marketing, FCC certification is required for their business model to work. There would be little point in designing the latest and greatest rig if one cannot market it to the masses.

Whether King Conversions represents a "non-amateur service licensee" designing and marketing an amplifier for sale in the US is the real question. Do they represent themselves as a corporate entity with non-ham employees who perform critical functions of the business, employ engineers who design and build amplifiers from scratch, and the like? Or do they primarily convert existing amplifiers by modifying them to work on 6 meters??

There clearly is a difference between a company that designs, makes and sells from scratch an amplifier that works on 6 meters and a company that takes an existing SB-220 amp and modifies it to work on 6 meters. Whether that difference is enough to immunize someone from complaints of selling non-certified amps that are modified is the real question. Maybe we will find out in the near future.

.................Bob

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob, it seems like you laid it out on the silver platter. Even I can now understand it. Thanks. Lou

9. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I can honestly tell you that no company (in the true sense of the word) has contacted me and bitched about what I do. If what you say is so true you'd think they would be bitching like crazy at me and having their lawyers on my butt. Never heard a peep from anyone. I am not a company. I am a ham who tinkers around in my basement and takes things as they come. Yeah I have a website, so what, that doesn't make me a company. I don't advertize in QST or CQ or in any publication. You don't see me on ANY classified section of any ham outlet like QRZ or EHAM or QTH selling my stuff. I dare you to find ONE ad for me selling a 6 meter amp. Check any of the above classified forums and find an ad written by me asking to sell my amps. If anything is sold that is my work it is a resale by someone who bought from me. If I was a company I guess I have some real poor marketing. If anybody should be in disagreement with me it would be some "company" selling 6 meter amps not you. I could see them having a dog in the fight , but you? Sounds like you get off on harassing people. I on the other hand I get off on trying to help people and offering services and making people happy. You have not made me happy nor many on this forum with your diatribes. I tried to end this a dozen posts ago, but you relent. BTW, you don't have to tell me about what it takes to certify because I am in the process now of getting our Lunar Link 6 meter amp certified. Hopefully if that takes off I won't have to mess around with 35 year old amps anymore. Wouldn't you just love that?

10. AF6LJ

Do you want to be on ignore, I have searched here and on E-Ham and what I find in terms of posts with your name on them has convinced me what your true motives are.
    Same here as over on E-Ham..
    I feel I was right when I suspected you were looking for a fight.

If I am wrong feel free to say so and I will apologize.
    But please be honest regarding your motivations.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.