Rebuilding an SB-220 (for KJP)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W1QJ, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pete,

I am not surprised, seems like a consensus of what I have heard from others.

Bill N9DSJ

2. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Bill, As I see it, the only person capable of bringing this thread off topic is the "8" you-know-who.. And it seems every time he's tried, it just simply jumps up and bites him.. It appears to me the subjects of this thread are, amps with subtitles of SB-220s, 6 Meter converted amps and the acquasition (never could spell that word) of used parts..Race Cars, with subtitles of Hemis, six packs, super Stock, Modified Production, Dirt Trackers, Modifieds, and Go Karts.. Girls' racing abilities, and lastly, FCC field offices and the names of said employees..

If a post doesn't jump up and bite the poster, it probably isn't a hijacking or off topic post..

See what I mean?? :confused:

Nick

3. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nick,

Sure, that was exactly what I as referring to re the "8".

The only HF amp I have is a Heathkit Warrior, sadly.
    The only performance car I presently own is a 1992 5.0 liter Mustang. I grew up with oval track racing (sprint cars and midgets) as it was my parent's near occupation when I was a kid. My first car was a 1966 HO Mustang and the next was a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 wedge....
    If we add motorcycles to this I will end up typing too much. Hope this is on topic :)

Bill N9DSJ

4. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill, That old Warrior probably couldn't be in better hands. I know you'll treat it well.. Here's the way I view possessing old machinery.. We're not exactly the owners of such items, we're mirely the caretakers until the next interested person comes along.. We then pass it on to them to take care of it..

I've been in love with 1957 chevrolets, particularly Nomads, since the day they were introduced to the public... In 1968, I rescued a 1957 Nomad from a life of sheltering a pen of chickens.. I resurrected it and installed one of my retired SBC race engines along with a Muncie 4 speed tranny. My wife and I drove that old car all over the place, like we were Bonnie and Clyde, laying rubber strips and sliding sideways all the way.. Starting in 1986, our son drove it to high school and college for 3 years.. Two years ago, I passed the car along to my youngest grandson.. He's just turned 13 and already knows how to start and warm up the old race engine before driving off in it and also he can change the oil and filter, replace the fuel pump, and do the routine "running maintance" on it.. He loves the car, and it's quite obvious he and his father have inherited my gear head genes..

About those motorcycles, let's see --- they certainly are similar to an amplifier as they produce heat while running.. Will knock you on your butt if not properly operated.. Like a high performance car, their tires are made of black rubber... Most importantly, the good ones make a lot of noise going down the road..I can't speak for Lou but I doubt very seriously if he'd mind if you banged out a post or two about them.. ;)

Nick

5. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys, I started this thread and it spread all over the place. It even spread into another forum where I and others have been almost threatened for what we do with a very suggestive thread there that eludes to illegal activity. RE: 6 meter conversions. To end that looming air of illegality I said I was in contact with a fellow at the FCC about it. Well actually he contacted me. It was a personal matter insofaras he wanted to know info about my amps. By mistake he used his FCC.GOV email address. Because of that I was point blank with him asking if I was busted for something to do with the operations. As I mentioned he had no problem with this and apologized by the scare of the FCC.GOV address. As I said on the first post about being contacted by him I did not remember his name. I did some investigation and I think his name was James Wells of the Dallas field office. I do remember he was with that office and as I recall I thought his name was West, but Wells seems close enough. SO I think it was probably him. WIth that I invite Mr. Wireless of the other group to verify my story. Either way that is my report first hand and unless he can prove otherwise I wish he would remove his suggestive post as it is damaging and contrary to the actual truth. I might like to add that for those who believe we hack these amps I would like to say that I like to try to get the "core" amps before they get parted out down to the hardware. I rather think that what I do is repurposing NOT hacking. I prefer buying units that are sold as not working and those that are know to perhaps have burned up band switches and hacked for CB. I hope that this puts an end to the thread and we can get back to helping others fix their amps and discuss other amps besides Heathkits. There are many other vintage amps that need help also. Lou

6. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You started the ball rolling with an attack on me and others for being "rip offs". I take offense to that. Then you went one step further. I don't know what your problem is, but you sure are not making any firends on this forum and the few that already know you as abrasive has spread to the entire forum now. So if your mission is to destroy reputations it just might be your own.

7. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

I do hate to say it but there is a difference between "Manufacturing" and "Modifying".
    Manufacturing = Building a complete item from all NEW parts
    Modifying = Changing the way it operates by adding or removing parts from an existing Design that has already been type accepted and as long as it still operates with in the amateur bands.
    As far as the 1 amplifier per year, read the rules. That is a HOMEBREW Amplifier is that the whole amp was designed and made with new/used parts from the ground up, NOT a Modified EXISTING Amplifier and what Lou does is modify a existing amplifier to operate on a HAM BAND that the amp was not designed to operate on when it was manufactured mostly by removing the tank circuit and replacing it with another.
    Now if he was modifying them to operate on 27Mhz then he would be breaking the law BUT HE DOES NOT DO THAT, he makes them to operate on 50Mhz and since that is a amateur band he is doing nothing wrong.

So I think you should go and crawl under the bridge you crawled out from. BTW your first name has been changed from Richard to 'DICK' get it dude? Or are you so damn dense that you cant see your own nose.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Getting a little INTENSE in here! Mods might be sending some to the CORNFIELD!

[​IMG]

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be offended, I always thought attacks on one's Character were not allowed here.

I thought the last time we had a house cleaning in the amplifier thread stuff like this was put to rest.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO, Roland has hit a home run. Also, if the Feds had a problem over the many years that Lou and others have been offering the modification service, I think they would've knocked on his door by now. It appears they're aware of it, too. That makes it sound like a non-issue with the FCC.

Let's not get corny, Pat. :p

Ditto. And IB4TL, if ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.