ad: vanity

Rebuilding an SB-220 (for KJP)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W1QJ, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

You got that right, Bill...

My Dad always told me, "Son, you can't hang around a dung heap and come away smelling like a rose"... That was almost 70 years ago and it still rings true..

My first automobile was a '50 chevrolet Deluxe coupe.. In 1960, I paid $35 for it.. You can't even buy a set of brake shoes for that today..

My first hot rod was a '55 Chevy 210, standard transmission, column shift with a 235 six cylinder engine. Bought that one from a used car lot in the summer of '61 right after I graduated from high school . I was 18 years old and just starting to get interested in racing.. With the help of a friend of my Dad's, I built a 301 cu in (283 bored .125).. Put the engine in along with a 4.56 positrac differential, floor shift and 8.50 - 15 Atlas Bucrons (remember those??) on the rear, and drove the beast to the local dragstrip.. In those days, the dragstrips were slicker than a pan full of bacon grease, and the flagman started the race -- no christmas trees anywhere in sight.. Along came Uncle Sam and I sold the car rather than park it for 3-4 years..

Fast forward to 1966.. Some of my high school buddies and I got together and built a 1956 Pontiac for the stock class at the local dirt track.. We did pretty good the first year, but to "run up front" we needed to spend more money, something we collectively had little of, so at the end of the year, the "team" broke up.. In the mean time, I had landed a pretty good job so I went out on my own.. I built a 57 Chevy 4dr for the "Basic Stock" class.. Nothing later that 1958 allowed on the engine or body.. OEM "over the counter parts only".. I soon learned that the most horsepower didn't win, the car with the best suspension setup led the field.. It wasn't long before my "little engine that could" showed it's tail lights to the competition.. I ran every dirt track within 500 miles of South East Texas for over 10 years.. Won enough money to support the car which made my wife happy.. 1977 was my last year with dirt track cars.. In 1985-86, my son and I buit a 72 Vega for Super Gas at the drag strip.. That was my first time on a drag strip since 1962... Boy!! was rudely awakened!! We sold the car in 1991 and the guy that bought it still runs it today.. Over the years he has had to upgrade the chassis to keep it certified... He still runs the 9.90 index, but it runs 8.80s "out the back door"..

In 1990, my 16 year old daughter and I started racing IKF sanctioned Speedway (dirt track)Go Karts.. The first year, she raced her way to the track's All Around Rookie Award.. She was 16 years old but we competed in the "adult" class..In 1991 the second year she raced, she was the Region IV (5 state area) 100CC Open Class Champion... All three years we raced, she was one of only two females in the class.. Both of them consistantly ran "up front"..

It's a fact, given equal equipment, females just about always, out perform males on the race track.. I would watch my daughter and she always drove in 15-20 feet deeper into the turns than her male counter parts.. Women racers are just by nature, cooler and more "collected" in high pressure situations..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it..

Nick

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pete, you graciously shared the photos of the great job you did with your SB-220! Tell me, did you buy some stuff from me? Did I rip you off? Did I send you some things at no charge? Did I say send it back for a refund if it did not work for you? Lou

5. KM5FL

Lou, I'm not sure of the "5" you refer to?? I'm not registered on that "assinine" forum, so I can't view profiles or post on it -- not that I'd want to in the first place.. According to the administrator of that forum, "hams aren't allowed" on it..

Nick

6. N9DSJ

I think he means the FCC engineer, not the lamer on the assinine "forum" (if you can even call it a forum).

Bill N9DSJ

7. KM5FL

Thanks Bill... Sometimes I'm a little slow, but I just figured out who he was referring to.. I don't know the guys at the Dallas office.. It probably would be in my best interest to get to know them...

Nick

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

9. N9DSJ

No problem, I am always slow!

Sorry this thread was derailed, always appreciate the information provided even though I do not own an SB-220. I operate mostly QRP (I know, a glutton for punishment).

Bill N9DSJ

10. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Lou, as I recall, you sent me a few parts gratis, NO CHARGE, even though I had offered to pay for them. I also recall we had some very pleasant exchanges about amplifier modifications afterwards. I'd say you went out of your way to help another ham, way more than I would have expected of anyone!!!

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.