Rebuilding an SB-220 (for KJP)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W1QJ, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

That's strange.. Same thing happened to me.. And I think W8JI also fits into that "combination" some place.. Other than the training I received while working as a driveability tech in the field of automotive repair, I have very little formal training in the world of electronics.. I entered the realm of ham radio some 17 years ago and figured if I was going to operate amplifiers, I had better darn well know how they work.. With the help of elmers such as N5KBW and W1QJ, I learned how to wade in without rubber boots.. Numerous times, Lou has coached and prodded me through the most difficult of repairs.. Lou has been my mentor, elmer, and most of all, my friend for over 10 years.. We know things about each other that others haven't a clue exists.. It's guys like Lou and others like him that keeps this hobby pleasurable and interesting..

Thank you Lou, for all that you do for us. Money can never buy what you bring to this hobby.

Nick

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed Nick, we go way back. As always you are ALWAYS there for me. Remember the last guy who tried to lay a "bad deal" on me? Bet he wished he never gotten into it. BTW about drag racing, I used to run I stock with a 1967 Pontiac LeMans and I was racing at a small rather local dragstrip. I won a couple of trophies in my class and then decided to join the pit crew with my buddy K2ZZ running Super Stock class. So I wasn't racing my car when pitting with him. A few weeks go by and a guy with a Mustang began to dominate the I stock class. Many of my friends kidded me about losing my status in that class and dared me to race that "Stang". I watched him race one week and watched his times come up on the board. He was consistantly runing about a tenth of a second faster than me so technically everyone assumed he would "blow me off" and dared me to race the guy the following week. I took the dare figuring if I didn't I'd automatically would succumb to defeat. The following week the final race for the winner came down to me and the guy in the Stang. He and I had beaten the rest of the cars in the class. When we were waiting in the staging lanes I was getting scared that I might go down to defeat. We were staged so that he and I would move on to the track at the same time. He was in front of me revving up his engine sensing victory was near. I figured I had to do something to get an edge so I hopped out of my car and walked up to his car and rapped on his window with the back of my hand. He opened the window and sassed me. I politely filled him in on the I stock class before he showed up on the scene. I told him I was in his position before he came to the track. (meaning being the steady winner) and that I was being hassled by my friends that someone had "taken my place". I went on to say that my only mission was to blow his doors off this week and he could return to his position after I prove to my friends I could beat you. So I said after you see my tail ights at the traps you can come back next week and assume your status because I would not be back. Time wise he should beat me by a tenth of a second which is a big difference at the top end. I knew I needed the hole shot or else I was done for plus it is somewhat intimidating when you blow someone out of the hole. SO I got daring and cut the lights "just right" and took him out of the hole badly. HeI was catching me on the top end as you would suspect but I just nipped him by a fender length going through the traps. Needless to say he was not happy since his time slip was quicker than mine but it was all in the hole shot. He followed me into the pits and had some chioce words for me. I had my way with my nay saying friends. HA HA So in regard to amplifiers, Yeah, powerful amps are nice but there is no substitute for a bit of skill in a pile up. On a pile up where a station is "listening up" a ham with 3KW won't make the contact if they don't call on the right frequency at the right time. That is where the skill comes in. A few of us locals had a battle of who can come up with the most powerful amp the "golden brick award" was up for grabs. It is a rather long story but it is on my website. It's fun reading if you are an amp freak like many of us. After you read the story you will know why the domain name. You are Right Nick W8JI and KM1H both were racers as well. Seems like it goes hand and hand with amps.

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I second this with much enthusiasm.

4. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm beginning to see the pattern here, Drag Racing & Amplifiers. My second car was 64 Barracuda with the 273 HP motor that was dang fast for what it was high 16 low 17 in the quarter mile then I came across a 71 Demon 340 six pack and it went from there. I had a good friend in High School who's dad owned the local drag strip so just about every weekend (when there was no surf) that's where you would find me and nobody except one guy with a 71 Duster 340 Six Pack could come close to beating me and we were so even around a tenth of a second either way depended on who got the hole shot first mostly in the mid 12's. Man I made some money with that car mostly with people. I made bets that they could not grab a $100 bill on the dash when I punched it they would only have to pay me $20 if they could not grab it. I never lost a $100 bill. My friend whos dad owned the drag strip bought him a Brand new 70 Hemi Cuda that we completely striped down and acid dipped the body after cutting all the extra metal out the motor was blueprinted and balanced and produced around 600HP with dual quads. I was lucky enough to drive it a bunch of times doing high 9's and low 10's What a Rush that was for a senior in high school. I got real lucky once when I got a ticket street racing in my Demon for doing 135 in a 35 zone the guy I was racing a Chevelle 396 with a big Blower sticking out of the hood I had seen the cop ahead and had shut down already well to make a long story short the cop gave me a break by putting the wrong street on the ticket (but they did not on the guy I was racing) and the Judge threw it out with a stern warning and since the other guy was is the same hearing his fine was $1800 and that was 1973 Ouch. So now I stick to Amps but I do drool when I watch the Mecham auto auctions and cry when I see what 70-71 Hemi Cuda goes for thinking what we did to that one we stripped down in High School. Anyway Amps are much cleaner to work on no greasy hands:p.
    Maybe all us old drag racer/amp guys should get together and build a REAL BIG AMP!! then do a strip down and rebuild like they do at the strip between races on a Funny Car :rolleyes:.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kudos Roland on your Heathkit overhaul! They could have used your styling sense to update their line. It's not often that someone improves factory schemes, but you have.

bill

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudos to all previous posters. At first, I wasn't sure I liked Lou for converting SB220s to 6m. But, I got past that when I realize he's a source of otherwise unobtanium parts for those like Roland who wish to repair theirs.

Lou, Roland, Tom, and I share the drag racing bug. Mine's a 1968 340-S Barracuda "fishback", that has run deep into the 11s as a bracket racer:
    [​IMG]
    Now that I have my tower up, it's time to go racin' again (it just takes mo money).
    I'd love the chance to make just ONE pass in the SS/A version of my car. :cool:

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC
    NHRA #ET6201

7. AF6LJ

Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't or has not raced a car motorcycle of go kart?

8. WA7PRC

Not YET, anyway. The thing about bracket racing is, since every race is a handicapped start (slow car leaves first), just about any vehicle can be used and is as competitive as anything else. The vehicle needs to run consistent times and the driver needs to leave the starting line "on time" (not late or early). ;)

My first pass was after a rain shower (the track was still damp). I ran a knee-knocking white-knuckled 19 second time. Now, ripping a wheelstanding 11 second pass at nearly 120 mph is like a Sunday drive. I need more speed. :cool:

I've also snow skiied straight down a steeper slope, at probably 50 mph. At speed, those gentle curves seemed like hairpin corners. What a rush! :eek:

9. AF6LJ

Sound like my Dad, we will have to talk sometime.

If I could drive I would have treated the Z-28 my brother had much better than he did.
    It was a very capable street racer when he acquired it. He brought it over one day to show off.
    When he said "and it will do wheelies" I called BS on him and he said "GET IN SIS, I'LL SHOW YOU."
    He was right, it tracked strait and we went for three blocks with the car at a 40 degree angle.
    It was a really nice car but 24 year old kids sometimes don't know what they have.....

:)

10. WA7PRC

Of course, these days in bracket racing and handicapped class racing, you want to win by the smallest margin (you don't want to risk breaking out). The only time the breakout rule doesn't apply is when the two cars are in the same Stock or Superstock class. It's those times when you want to be able to bury the index.

In any case, I like to say:
    "Always be a good sport at the drags...
    offer to help your opponent O-U-T!"
    [​IMG]

I recall reading that women make the best drag racers (and I've seen it many times). Women are generally cooler under pressure than men and have much better (and consistent) reaction times. Fortunately for me, I found the drag strip before I caused damage or injury on the street. It's MUCH more fun, too. :cool:

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC
    NHRA #ET6201

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.