ad: Schulman-1

Rebooting Amateur Radio: The Death and Rebirth of Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by M6RSY, Aug 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. M6RSY

M6RSY Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave a talk on the slow death and exciting rebirth of modern amateur radio. I thought it might be enjoyable for some traditionalists to take a look as well - and while the 'old ways' are not completely dead, I cover some of the interesting complementary things we did to appeal to a modern young enthusiast.

Video of the presentation at Electromagnetic Field conference:

https://media.ccc.de/v/emf2016-83-r...dern-digital-comms-are-reviving-amateur-radio

A few key things in addition:

I forgot to point out the mass-licensing effort going on at the Las Vegas hacker conference DEFCON. This is a huge thing because the attendees are some of the brightest technologically curious people in the world. DEFCON is short is a yearly-held woodstock for Internet and computer security technologists.

“Ham for Hackers” presentation (circa 2008) at Defcon 16: https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-16/dc16-presentations/defcon-16-jonm.pdf

I think there are a lot of exciting changes happening to the world of technology - lots of really cool stuff coming to fruition which will make the radio enthusiast world really fun and interesting.

2. KJ4CCH

KJ4CCH Ham Member QRZ Page

For a while now the RC community was pushing people to get their amateur radio certificates to use certain video frequencies for first person view. I already had mine when i got into it, but a lot of my friends got their technician certificate.

3. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My son (KM4ICH) is more interested in digital modes, then gum slapping on the radio. He loves to try to tune in that weak hard to get signal to "see" who it is. His tech ticket ( and our current equipment setup) doesn't award him the privileges to actually log the contact, but he likes to find them. He has expressed interest in upgrading next year. He also has a interest in CW. The hobby is not dead to the younger crowd, it is just going to change to reflect their interest.

Get the kids in the shack, they are interested!! It is just a different interest.