Reality Show About Tower Climbers on Discovery Channel this Friday @ 11:00 PM EST.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2EYK, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-sarc
  1. N2EYK

N2EYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fellow Amateur Radio Operators,
    I
    wanted to let you know about some interesting news.
    My brother John Paleski has a tower worker, reality show on Discovery this Friday @ 11:00P.M. Eastern.

The show is called "Hang Men" and this debut will be a "Back Door" pilot. If the ratings are good they will pick up the show.
    Sooo, if you can, please watch. If you can't watch, set your DVRs for Discovery Channel on Friday Evening @ 11:00 P.M. EST. Buff guys and a cute girl in tool belts, towers, coax cable, reality and drama. What could go wrong?

www.discovery.com/tv-shows/tv-schedule.htm

Thank you everyone,
    Rich
    N2EYK

2. W1YW

W1YW Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich,

If the incentive is "buff guys and cute girl"....really: a reality show?

I think a show based on KC1XX would be closer to the mark.

A single program would probably be interesting. A whole series doesn't sound all too ham related, frankly.

My opinion. Yours may differ.

Chip W1YW

3. N5YCN

N5YCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Rich, Thanks for the info. Any show with a Paleski in it has to be great! Looking forward to it!

Tim

4. N7IQV

N7IQV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to help out Arizonans and Hawaiians... Will this be shown at 11:00 pm EST or EDT?? We don't screw with the time around here, but we DO have to adjust for those that do.

Appreciate any clarifications!

John/N7IQV

5. KC2NEO

KC2NEO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend and former co-worker, "Cowboy" will be on. It will be great to see him on TV! He's quite a character with many interests outside of climbing towers.
    I'll be tuning in for sure.
    sean
    KC2NEO

6. N2EYK

7. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sweet.....

8. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, ill TRY to watch. I can fly all day, no prob. But cliffs, towers, scare the hell out of me. Even on tv. But ill watch all i can cause ill close my eyes during the scary shots. Good luck with your show.

9. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll watch it. I recall watching the PBS show on front line called "Tower dogs" It was pretty scary to see how many died in tower accidents. They showed scenes from the funeral for a cell tower worker that fell more 400 feet.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  10. KG4KKN

KG4KKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Natgeo channel did an episode of World's Toughest Fixes on replacing the antenna on a 2000ft tower. Makes the cell towers look like footstools.

Most of the episode can be watched for free here: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/videos/2000-foot-tower/

11. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a good reason to stay up and watch the TV or record it. I will not miss it.

12. N2EYK

Thank you everyone, I am hanging out at my brother's house. I just made pizza and we are going to have a look at the edited version.

13. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow... Discovery has gone to a new low...

The Chick talks to "40 watt" as a seasoned pro... then talking to her boyfriend on the tower "I've never been up this high" (yeah 200 feet big whoppie).

This show is gonna crash and burn. Ditch the script... follow a REAL crew... and there will be no TV script drama... just a lot of cussin' and bitchin'. :cool:

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

14. N2EYK

The program will have one more showing at 2:00 PM Eastern.

Thank you everyone for the feedback and for your interest.

Rich
    N2EYK

15. KI4KGR

KI4KGR Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it's going to fit in just fine with other shows like Amish Mafia, Moonshiners, and their other crap fake reality shows. With the exception of Mythbusters there hasn't been anything worth watching on Discovery since they pronounced Aluminum in a funny way.

I'm rather disappointed (but not surprised) that they will no accurately represent the tower climbing profession.

16. KH2PM

KH2PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything is better than nothing. I'm sure the general public won't go nuts over tower crews working, but who knows. A few episodes with variety, such as some HD TV antenna replacements on a 2,000' tower, maybe working on the antenna at the top of the Empire State Building...now that would be entertainment.

Last night's episode was pretty good, and I'd watch every episode that came out (hope to see more) but the same crew on the same tower(s) would get old quick.

17. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

I said the same thing to my wife. She was all "hot shiat" on the ground, and then she can't figure out how to climb the last 5 feet?

Also, who in their right mind would use slip joint pliers to tighten nuts that hold antennas in place that "will cost the customer millions of dollars" if they are not up that day? They showed the crew setting up the clamps in the shop, so why not have the correct open end/box wrench in your tool bag on the tower? While I do not do much climbing, I have climbed to 150 feet, and the ONLY wrench or socket that is not a specific size in my tool bag is a crescent wrench.

I have seen the technique of clipping the end of the load end of the rope back onto the pull side, why weren't they using the capstan winch for all of the lifts? Because it was more "manly" to show them heaving the antennas up by hand (and jerking the rope at the same time)? Especially for the dish antenna.

Sorry but safely comes first. Not "even though it's getting dark, we have to get this done TODAY." And then as the climbers touch terra-ferma, they talk about safety?

I am by no means an expert in tower climbing or rigging, or what techniques should be used. However, I have been up on ham towers, and typically the people on the tower call the shots, not the ground crew.

Interesting show, and I did watch another show along the same lines from several years ago. However, I do not watch "reality" shows, so I probably won't watch beyond this.

18. W1ERB

W1ERB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm guess the show got shot down even though it was actually pretty cool and interesting to me. They don't have any shows like it on the air. But, It disappeared off tv listings and the Discovery Channel website.

19. N2EYK

Hi Everyone,
    First, I want to give a heart felt thank you to the amateur radio community for their interest in the show. The ratings were pretty good and the show held the lead-in and it even grew viewers judging by the national ratings. I also understand some of the criticism that has been posted here. There are reasons why some of the scenes did not meet the approval of some of the "experts". To those people I would remind them that shows of this sort are produced and edited, scenes are there for a reason. Those scenes and practices that many have pointed out will be the subject of follow up by the tower owner on a future episode. Just understand that my brother John manages more than 1,500 communications sites, he owns more than 400 communications towers, He personally raised the money and constructed more than 300 towers, many of them are above 300 feet. He is also a founding member of NATE and one of its contributing members. John was not happy with the way some in his industry were portrayed in the past and thought he could do better. His goal was to bring to light and recognize in a positive way, the people who work on towers. That is building them, inspecting them or installing the communications facilities that too many people take for granted. My family thanks all of you for your interest in the show and I hope that it gave you a glimpse of what it takes to install that repeater antenna that many of us take for granted.
    It was my interest in amateur radio and passive filter design as a teen that sparked my career in 1983 designing Subcarrier receivers for the blind and visually handicapped. That led to my interest in communications leasing in 1985 simply as a sideline. I kept the name Subcarrier Communications as a reminder of what a good deed for the community can grow into. My brother took over that business in the 1990's and has been successful because he brought customer service to an industry that was not known to be client friendly. Amateur radio can open doors for youngsters and veterans alike. Most of the knowledge I relied on when I started my career I attained by studying the ARRL Handbook and stacks of old QST magazines. That one dollar and fifty cent purchase from the Fort Monmouth Thrift Shop has had a pretty good return on investment. There is an incredible wealth of knowledge in our community. We truly stand on the shoulders of giants. I have had the opportunity to get to know some of the brightest, most fascinating engineers and scientists in the broadcasting world. The one subject that most of us have in common outside of broadcasting, is amateur radio. Returning to the subject of the thread... Is this subject ham radio related? I would have to say slightly, but only tangentially. Would this show or the company my brother runs have been possible without the learning that was an outgrowth of amateur radio? Absolutely not! I have been truly fortunate in my life and I have never forgotten how I got here. 73 Everyone and if you have a moment, take a look at the photo albums on my QRZ page. Amateur radio can be a wonderful stepping stone into a rewarding career.

20. W1YW

W1YW Subscriber QRZ Page

I think everyone groks and admires the TOWER BUSINESS piece. The point is---why pull us in over ENTERTAINMENT?

Be one, or be the other. My advise.

Chip W1YW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.