ad: KB6NUGuides-1

Real or Fake? Elecraft KX2

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN3O, May 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears that Elecraft is releasing a new radio, the "KX2". I've found a few links that seem to verify this:

http://www.hamlife.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/elecraft-kx2-005.png
    http://swling.com/blog/2016/05/the-elecraft-kx2-a-fit-in-your-pocket-size-transceiver/
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/20...nnounce_at_dayton_hamvention.htm#.VzyKopMrJpg

If it's priced right between the KX1 and KX3 that could be a great radio for a lot of people. The KX3 is pricy and the KX1 is limited in features (in comparison).

2. AG5DB

AG5DB Ham Member QRZ Page

$749 base unit. Looks real enough, wonder how much internals it shares with the KX3. Only bummer I see is that the optional lithium battery pack needs to be charged outside of the unit.

3. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks good!

4. KC2SST

KC2SST Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm buying this.
    [​IMG]

KV4RH, W9AMM, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  6. W5WN

I guess we'll know soon from Dayton attendees whether or not it's a hoax.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd say "fake." Just my opinion.

It's not on the Elecraft website. The "press release" has misspelled words, talks about showing it at the Hamvention on "Thursday, May 16th" (Thursday is May 19th), discusses distributor orders (Elecraft doesn't have distributors in the U.S., although they do have four resellers in international markets -- Europe and Japan), etc.

Anything's possible, though.:)

K4YND likes this.
  8. W5WN

Excellent observation, Steve.

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks real to me, though I don't see it on Elecraft's website yet. If it's fake, someone went to a lot of trouble to mimic Elecraft's style, and to mock up a radio. Looks like official announcement date is supposed to be tomorrow, so soon enough, there will be no doubt one way or another.

On paper, it looks like they've put about 90% of the most used features of the KX3 into a package about half the weight and volume of the KX3. Quite a feat! It can use the same KXPA100 amplifier as the KX3, to bring it up to 100W power output. I would assume the KX2 can drive the KXPA100 with a similar tight integration as the KX3 drives it -- The KX3/KXPA100 functions as though you have a single radio that was built as a 100W radio, but happens to be packaged in two boxes. You never need to touch any controls on the amp during operation.

It looks like the KX2 ergonomics might be challenging, because they've got almost as much to control, but fewer buttons and knobs to do the controlling with. All the buttons and knobs on the KX3 were already overloaded with multiple functions. I also notice that the KX2 is priced in roughly the same neighborhood as the KX3. A bit less, but not so much that price will be the obvious reason for most people's decision.

My QRZ page has a description a rig I own, a very simple and very small QRP CW-only kit-built radio, which I jokingly said is "for those times when the KX3 is just too much to lug around". I didn't think the folks at Elecraft were seriously thinking the KX3 was too big!

10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess folks will find out soon enough with Dayton this weekend...